PINE64

Full Version: Looking for a NAS/Transmission solution without the Pi 3 Bottlenecks, also Canada Q
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

So I’m wanting to venture down the rock64 path after having it suggested by multiple people. 

Currently I am trying to run libreelec with OpenVPN and transmission from a Pi 3/3B+ and it’s been a real pain. Between the insane bottlenecks with transfers over 8MB/s via transmission to hangs when streaming from USB it’s just been an insanely frustration. 

I am hoping to retire my DNS-320L which current contains 2 drives, a 2TB and 3TB WD NAS drive, so I was planning on purchasing the board, the NAS enclosure, the SATA cable and the 12V power brick because better safe than sorry. 

I presume the fan in the store would be a wise purchase?

Is there anything else I might need? I don’t care about booting from eMMC as I don’t see a benefit over a good 128gb SDHC card I currently am repurposing from my switch, had to upgrade. 

Also, my other concern was the shipping time and method to Canada. I see that most shipments come via DHL but I’ve had issues in the past getting hit with duties and taxes for large shipments. Looking arbitrary the total I fear I may push over $25, but looking st the Canadian store, the Rockpro64 is $140CDN(!!!) so even if I was hit, the savings would be massive. 

Lastly, what’s the deal on shipping speed/times? I see more stock is expected on the 12th, should I assume a 30ish day turnaround considering its coming from China?

I’m a bit wary as it’s a good amount of money and unlike buying from amazon I don’t expect to have flexible returns, so I need to know for sure this will work. 

My expectation would be to copy my Pi 3 setup here, loading Libreelec and running OpenVPN with transmission, but I do not know if the plugins will work seamlessly on the hardware. 

Thanks in advance!
You might want to check out ameridroid.com - they are a distributor in California that carries Pine64 products. Their prices are a little higher than ordering directly from Pine64, but you can receive your order faster. They do ship to Canada.