PINE64

Full Version: Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently, I'm on the Speakout phone plan. I'm using my 10-12 year old Samsung phone, and it works fine, but I've wanted a tinker phone with pure Linux for several years.

I'm interested in going down the rabbit hole to try my SIM card on a Pine Phone Beta Edition. I'd like to know if anyone has used the Speakout carrier on the Pine Phone and what experience they've had with it.

Are all carriers generally the same in terms of call reliability?
(07-21-2022, 01:28 PM)bedtime Wrote: [ -> ]Currently, I'm on the Speakout phone plan. I'm using my 10-12 year old Samsung phone, and it works fine, but I've wanted a tinker phone with pure Linux for several years.

I'm interested in going down the rabbit hole to try my SIM card on a Pine Phone Beta Edition. I'd like to know if anyone has used the Speakout carrier on the Pine Phone and what experience they've had with it.

Are all carriers generally the same in terms of call reliability?

Speakout uses Rogers infrastructure. I've used them on/off over the years and the reliability was fine. Like "rhymes-with-smell" cellular, they have dead areas too but not as bad as they used to be. Unless it's a big hassle, use cash in person and don't use the portal. I started receiving spam calls and SMS from all over after I did that - it's the reason I left.
Quote:Speakout uses Rogers infrastructure. I've used them on/off over the years and the reliability was fine. Like "rhymes-with-smell" cellular, they have dead areas too but not as bad as they used to be. Unless it's a big hassle, use cash in person and don't use the portal. I started receiving spam calls and SMS from all over after I did that - it's the reason I left.

I've been using the Speakout plan for a while now, but I've just received my phone yesterday.

Could you tell me what you mean about cash in person and portal? What is portal?

Thanks
(08-16-2022, 07:51 PM)bedtime Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Speakout uses Rogers infrastructure. I've used them on/off over the years and the reliability was fine. Like "rhymes-with-smell" cellular, they have dead areas too but not as bad as they used to be. Unless it's a big hassle, use cash in person and don't use the portal. I started receiving spam calls and SMS from all over after I did that - it's the reason I left.

I've been using the Speakout plan for a while now, but I've just received my phone yesterday.

Could you tell me what you mean about cash in person and portal? What is portal?

Thanks

Ah - The cash in person refers to paying for the air time in cash, in person at a 7-11 or wherever you purchase your air time now. The portal is the website speakout uses to administer your speakout plan(s).