PINE64

Full Version: Where to find a PDF viewer (and other software) compatible with aarch64?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just tried and failed to install foxitreader. Is there anything available?

Also, I get the impression I'm going to have to post on the forum like this for most pieces of software. I was pleased to find https://privacyshark.zero-credibility.net/# earlier as a source of compatible VOIP software. Are there similar places to go for other aarch64 Linux software?
On Manjaro? I use xpdf for most things, evince if I need fillable forms. "pacman -Ss pdf viewer" shows several other options. Okular is preinstalled on KDE.

What distro & desktop environment are you on? If Manjaro/KDE, click the M at the bottom left of the screen, then Applications > Settings > Add/Remove Software. Hit the magnifying glass, type pdf.
(09-18-2020, 08:09 PM)Dendrocalamus64 Wrote: [ -> ]On Manjaro?  I use xpdf for most things, evince if I need fillable forms.  "pacman -Ss pdf viewer" shows several other options.  Okular is preinstalled on KDE.

What distro & desktop environment are you on?  If Manjaro/KDE, click the M at the bottom left of the screen, then Applications > Settings > Add/Remove Software.  Hit the magnifying glass, type pdf.

Evince seems usable, though much sparser than Foxit.

I'm on Manjaro, but more often than not when I try to install things on pamac I get "==> ERROR: [software] is not available for the 'aarch64' architecture."
(09-18-2020, 08:24 PM)mjc Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-18-2020, 08:09 PM)Dendrocalamus64 Wrote: [ -> ]On Manjaro?  I use xpdf for most things, evince if I need fillable forms.  "pacman -Ss pdf viewer" shows several other options.  Okular is preinstalled on KDE.

What distro & desktop environment are you on?  If Manjaro/KDE, click the M at the bottom left of the screen, then Applications > Settings > Add/Remove Software.  Hit the magnifying glass, type pdf.

Evince seems usable, though much sparser than Foxit.

I'm on Manjaro, but more often than not when I try to install things on pamac I get "==> ERROR: [software] is not available for the 'aarch64' architecture."
Blame the software vendor because they hadn't ported it

From Foxit site:
Foxit PhantomPDF (Prior to version 10.1)/Foxit Reader (Prior to version 10.0) is not compatible with computers with Arm processor.

and Foxit Reader itself for linux has been discontinued
https://forums.foxitsoftware.com/forum/p...post179663
Install Synaptic and you can search and browse packages yourself. I've used xpdf for 20 years or so. I haven't found much missing from aarch64 that's on other things. Some day I'll try to resurrect Photoprint again.
We're on Manjaro now, though. Synaptic is on Debian and derived distros; Manjaro has pamac, which OP is already using, octopi, and other GUI software managers. The Manjaro wiki has a page on them but it's currently down.

While several arm flavors are release architectures on debian, which means substantially all packages must build for them, arm support in arch & manjaro is still experimental. So even though manjaro's support for PBP is better in some ways, there are noticeably more packages not available for arm.
I'm not sure why no one has mentioned qpdf/qpdfview
Not my favorite, but generally OK
I don't know if it can successfully fill out forms
(09-27-2020, 08:43 AM)wdt Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure why no one has mentioned qpdf/qpdfview

Tabs is one of the main features I want, and qpdf installed without a problem, so this is the best suggestion so far. Thanks.
(09-27-2020, 11:01 AM)mjc Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2020, 08:43 AM)wdt Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure why no one has mentioned qpdf/qpdfview

Tabs is one of the main features I want, and qpdf installed without a problem, so this is the best suggestion so far. Thanks.

zathura hasn't been mentioned, it has a tabs feature although I don't use it. It's what I settled on over the years.