PINE64
Booting - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Booting (/showthread.php?tid=9912)

Pages: 1 2

Booting - GloriousCoffee - 05-20-2020

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the way its supposed to be, but currently I've got debian installed on my eMMC. I've also got debian running on an SD card, but whenever I want to boot from the SD card I first have to boot debian on the eMMC, log in and reboot in order for the PBP to boot from the SD card. Is this the way its supposed to be, or is there a setting to not have to do this procedure and just boot directly from SD without having to reboot?

RE: Booting - Dendrocalamus64 - 05-20-2020

What debian do you have on the eMMC, installed how?

The default build has uboot on the eMMC, with a boot order of SD, eMMC.

If you're using something else, you'll need to make sure that the bootloader is configured the way you want.

RE: Booting - GloriousCoffee - 05-21-2020

I've installed regular debian, through the Thompson installer (in order to get LUKS to work).

So its the boot loader of the OS that decides the boot order, its not hardware?
Where should I look?

RE: Booting - tophneal - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 03:21 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: I've installed regular debian, through the Thompson installer (in order to get LUKS to work).

So its the boot loader of the OS that decides the boot order, its not hardware?
Where should I look?

Yes and no. The SoC has it's own boot order of SPI>eMMC>SD. u-boot (the bootloader) is typically on the eMMC, and from there the boot priority using u-boot to put SD before eMMC.

Okay,

I've never really played around with any bootloader,
what config file do I need to look into, to change the priority?

(05-21-2020, 07:59 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: Okay,

I've never really played around with any bootloader,
what config file do I need to look into, to change the priority?

I think the problem you're facing is due to the u-boot on your eMMC or SD, one (or both) may need updated. I saw you're using mainline Debian on your eMMC, so it should be using mainline u-boot, what are the details of the Debian on your SD card? Is it also mainline, or mrfixit's OOTB Debian?

Okay,

I'm running mainline debian on the SD as well, encrypted.

(05-21-2020, 08:23 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: Okay,

I'm running mainline debian on the SD as well, encrypted.

Hmm, well if they're both full updated, that shouldn't be it. What's the full behavior of the PBP when you try to boot from the SD without booting through the eMMC first? Is the LED behavior different from when booting up from the eMMC?

Hm, thats strange..

I notice no difference to the LED when booting with the SD inserted, it just goes directly to boot from eMMC.

(05-21-2020, 08:34 AM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: Hm, thats strange..

I notice no difference to the LED when booting with the SD inserted, it just goes directly to boot from eMMC.

That is strange. I've had that happen to me a few times before, and I can usually resolve it by reinserting my SD and booting again.

Have you by chance tested whether you can boot to another OS from SD without booting into the eMMC first?