PINE64
Announcing the Mobian project - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Announcing the Mobian project (/showthread.php?tid=9850)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - dukla2000 - 09-02-2020

(07-24-2020, 05:21 AM)devrtz Wrote: Phosh accepts the -U flag which can be used to start the session unlocked. I'm not sure however if this also prevents it from going to the lockscreen.

PS: I only tried this while running a nested phosh/phoc inside my WM/DE.

Have tried to play with this and have failed miserably, mainly as my coding/scripting skills are negligible!

Not sure whether phosh.service is from /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/ or /usr/lib/systemd/system/ but both of them
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/phosh
and adding -U made no difference. Browsing about I suspect my -U was being handled(/ignored) by ExecStart so I started playing with /usr/bin/phosh instead. My limited skills reading this script says it does not process any (incoming) parameters at all?
Code:
$ cat /usr/bin/phosh
#!/bin/sh

COMPOSITOR="/usr/bin/phoc"
PHOC_INI="/usr/share/phosh/phoc.ini"

gnome_session_args()
{
    ARGS="--disable-acceleration-check --session=phosh"

# Use builtin session handling until we can rely
    # on a newer gnome-session everywhere
    if gnome-session --help | grep -qs -e--builtin; then
        ARGS="--builtin ${ARGS}"
    fi

echo "${ARGS}"
}

if [ -x /usr/bin/phoc ]; then
  COMPOSITOR=/usr/bin/phoc
fi

if [ -f /etc/phosh/phoc.ini ]; then
  PHOC_INI=/etc/phosh/phoc.ini
elif  [ -f /etc/phosh/rootston.ini ]; then
  # honor old configs
  PHOC_INI=/etc/phosh/rootston.ini
fi

# Run gnome-session through a login shell so it picks
# variables from /etc/profile.d (XDG_*)
[ -n "$WLR_BACKENDS" ] || WLR_BACKENDS=drm,libinput
export WLR_BACKENDS
exec "${COMPOSITOR}" -C "${PHOC_INI}" -E "bash -lc 'gnome-session $(gnome_session_args)'"
 and adding -U to ARGS just caused phosh to fail to start properly in a loop until it was removed.

Still would love to get rid of the stupid PIN screen login if there are any suggestions.

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - bcnaz - 09-03-2020

(08-31-2020, 06:01 PM)bcnaz Wrote: During the daytime I do use my Brave Heart phone,     " as a phone "

In the evenings I do my testing of new releases, and systems.

I just got a new PMOS Convergence Pkg phone, 

On a zero wiped sd card I flashed the new September 03 nightly.

It runs great, maybe even faster than the Post Market that is on the eMMC !

Only thing I found not working was the speaker phone.

"Out of the Box" configuration...   as usual adjust the settings

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - bcnaz - 09-05-2020

Is the Brave Heart different, re: September 05 nightly
The sound is weak, and the old problem of not being able to start the sms/text after a reboot.

My new PMOS Convergent pkg phone runs great with the September 04 nightly, excellent sound.

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - dukla2000 - 09-05-2020

(09-05-2020, 08:11 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Is the Brave Heart different,  re: September 05 nightly
The sound is weak, and the old problem of not being able to start the sms/text after a reboot.

My new PMOS Convergent pkg phone runs great with the September 04 nightly, excellent sound.

Managed to lose my sound as well on my BraveHeart: had to do a reinstall, used 3 Sept nightly. Sound worked fine. Did upgrade sometime on 4 Sept and sound has vanished. Need to check if old "downgrade" trick still works.

PS - just did a quick check and after dist-upgrade today (upgraded mobian-tweaks, removed pinephone-devtools - I see there has been some fiddling with the USB gadget) the sound is working as per old days. All the fun of being on the bleeding edge!

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - bcnaz - 09-08-2020

I just flashed the Sept. 08 nightly to the sd card for my new PMOS Convergent Pkg phone.

The call out ring-tone for the handset has disappeared  ?

My Brave Heart phone is running Sept 06 nightly it still has the ring-tone.

Update: sept 14
 with the sept 14 nightly +  changed settings :
'sound configuration' from default to 'phone call'
   and ring-tone is there.

Smile

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - bcnaz - 09-10-2020

While typing an sms text the screen will go black and then return as log-in screen.

This is really very random and the OS is in development so understandable.

but I thought I would mention this, as it has happened several times,  and across the separate

releases.

Sometimes days without  a problem.

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - dukla2000 - 09-11-2020

(09-10-2020, 06:54 PM)bcnaz Wrote: While typing an sms text the screen will go black and then return as log-in screen.

This is really very random and the OS is in development so understandable.

but I thought I would mention this, as it has happened several times,  and across the separate

releases.

Sometimes days without  a problem.

In my experience I believe this is phosh crashing: after you go through the log-in screen again you find no applications (apart from any you have added to your startup) I presume? (And yes it happens to me occasionally - often preceded by a lockup of all screen response for 5 seconds or so.)

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - dnarby - 09-14-2020

***EDIT: I had to go back to a cheap Android phone.

My original first-edition PinePhone was just too unstable, poor audio quality, etc. for me to use it as a daily driver. At this point, I'm not sure what I can use if for except as a learning experience.

Hopefully the next edition(s) will be good enough for general use.

---

A huge thumbs-up and thank you to the devs. I bought my PP when it first became available, then put it away as no OS was really ready. Well, my other phone died, and I looked on the forums and saw a post about MOBIAN and viola!  I'm using my PP for a daily driver.

There's only two things this needs for me to be 100%
  • One is for the contacts manager/phone book to talk to messaging/dialer (it doesn't show the contact name in messenger, and you can't port a message/number over to contacts to create a new one).
  • Get the volume louder (I tried the "alsamixer" tweak, but it didn't seem to make a difference - maybe need to reboot or update). https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=tweaks
Other than that, I can live with all the quirks, because this phone fulfills it's primary function, and way way more.

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - bcnaz - 09-15-2020

New September 15 nightly works great,  good audio, just needed to change sound output in settings configuration from 'default' to 'phone call' in sound settings for ring-tone to sound.
 Not consistent ?
worked first try, but not second try....
changed to 'default' then back to 'phone call' worked again, seems to need to toggle back and forth then works.
  I do really like the ring-tone sound, but need to toggle inbetween outbound calls ..?
Calling out is dependable...  but the ring-tone for outgoing calls, not so much.

-------------------

September 16 nightly,

Same problem with ring-tone on outgoing calls,  it works on first try after changing the sound configuration from default to phone call, but on second call it again does not have ring-tone.
Go back into settings and toggle from phone to default then back to phone and again it works.

I appreciate the great work from the Mobian Team, just pointing this out, not complaining.

--------------------------------------

September :  17

with update(s)  ring-tone works fine,

Mobian  appears to me,   to be a  Very Usable operating system.

RE: Announcing the Mobian project - dnarby - 09-15-2020

Does anybody have the same issue with phone book/calls/chat integration?

Right now, I have no easy way to create a contact from a recent chat/phone call (have to do everything manually). Contacts sometimes show up in chat correctly (name instead of a #), and only show number (not name) in recent calls. Ideally this would work the same as it does on Android phones.

I just wanted to check before creating an open issue on GitLabs.