PINE64
ARM v8 learning setup - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: ARM v8 learning setup (/showthread.php?tid=9588)

ARM v8 learning setup - the_hiacer - 04-05-2020

Hi Pine64ers,

I would like to buy a PBP primarily for learning the ARM v8 architecture. 

My initial thinking is to do some kernel hacking of some open source OS. In terms of learning, which OS should I go for? In some BSD documents, it takes two identical machines with their com port connected and use the debugger to step through the kernel execution. Is this the case for PBP? If so, how could that be done? If this is not the way to do it, what is the recommended way?

My primary objective is learning the ARM v8 architecture. So things like performance and security is not a concern - at least for now.

Thanks community.

Another quick question: Is it possible to use 8G or even 16G RAM with the PBP?

RE: ARM v8 learning setup - Arwen - 04-05-2020

(04-05-2020, 04:12 AM)the_hiacer Wrote: Hi Pine64ers,

My initial thinking is to do some kernel hacking of some open source OS. In terms of learning, which OS should I go for? In some BSD documents, it takes two identical machines with their com port connected and use the debugger to step through the kernel execution. Is this the case for PBP? If so, how could that be done? If this is not the way to do it, what is the recommended way?

My primary objective is learning the ARM v8 architecture. So things like performance and security is not a concern - at least for now.

Thanks community.

One note that applies to all ARM implementations today, each has customized I/O. Un-like x86/x64 Arch which has some standardized I/O you can count on being present, (physically or emulated).

So for kernel hacking on ARM you WILL need to make sure you understand what kernel configuration options and modules you need for the specific platform you are using for learning. In some ways what you propose to do would be better, (and cheaper), on a Raspberry Pi or a ROCKPro64, (which uses the same SoC as the Pinebook Pro).

I don't have a specific OS suggestion, other than you want a very recent Linux kernel. Even re-basing your development evironment every month or so to the latest kernel release. There have been some noticable changes to ARM in the Linux kernel recently and more to follow.

No, it is totally impossible to use a larger amount of RAM on a Pinebook Pro. The SoC, (System on a Chip), is limited to 4GBs of RAM.

RE: ARM v8 learning setup - the_hiacer - 04-08-2020

(04-05-2020, 12:36 PM)Arwen Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 04:12 AM)the_hiacer Wrote: Hi Pine64ers,

Thanks community.

One note that applies to all ARM implementations today, each has customized I/O. Un-like x86/x64 Arch which has some standardized I/O you can count on being present, (physically or emulated).

So for kernel hacking on ARM you WILL need to make sure you understand what kernel configuration options and modules you need for the specific platform you are using for learning. In some ways what you propose to do would be better, (and cheaper), on a Raspberry Pi or a ROCKPro64, (which uses the same SoC as the Pinebook Pro).

I don't have a specific OS suggestion, other than you want a very recent Linux kernel. Even re-basing your development evironment every month or so to the latest kernel release. There have been some noticable changes to ARM in the Linux kernel recently and more to follow.

No, it is totally impossible to use a larger amount of RAM on a Pinebook Pro. The SoC, (System on a Chip), is limited to 4GBs of RAM.

RE: ARM v8 learning setup - xmixahlx - 04-08-2020

there are better ways to learn armv8/arm64 than a pbp. if you are asking about 16gb ram you dont know... several of these soc are fixed at 4gb ram. including rk3399.

if you actually want to learn armv8 for development than get a honeycomb lx2k.

RE: ARM v8 learning setup - z4v4l - 04-08-2020

right, learning armv8 is only possible with a board starting at 750$ (without memory and requiring a lot of other stuff to buy, that probably double the price), but with x4 10 GBE SFP+ connectors, without such a load learning armv8 doesn't happen... no matter the arm core is the same cortex-a72. if you wanted to shock the OP, there are some ThunderX2 based machines, even hairier and pricier, but honestly such suggestions look like fart in the puddle.

RE: ARM v8 learning setup - the_hiacer - 04-09-2020

(04-08-2020, 10:49 PM)z4v4l Wrote: right, learning armv8 is only possible with a board starting at 750$ (without memory and requiring a lot of other stuff to buy, that probably double the price), but with x4 10 GBE SFP+ connectors, without such a load learning armv8 doesn't happen... no matter the arm core is the same cortex-a72. if you wanted to shock the OP, there are some ThunderX2 based machines, even hairier and pricier, but honestly such suggestions look like fart in the puddle.

I am not shocked by the price point as I am aware of this. The problem is whether I should instead of I could. You know, when you got a driving license, it is better to f__k with a HIACE to start with rather than fooling around with a Maserati and crash it in no time.

(04-08-2020, 08:50 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: there are better ways to learn armv8/arm64 than a pbp. if you are asking about 16gb ram you dont know... several of these soc are fixed at 4gb ram. including rk3399.

if you actually want to learn armv8 for development than get a honeycomb lx2k.

Yes, you are right. There are indeed better ways to learn about arm64. Here says,
Quote:The huge advantage of QEMU over VirtualBox is that is supports cross arch simulation, e.g. simulate an ARM guest on an x86 host.

RE: ARM v8 learning setup - cirosantilli - 04-20-2020

BTW, my tutorial which the_hiacer mentioned is also a reasonable ARMv7/v8 learning setup: https://cirosantilli.com/linux-kernel-module-cheat/#arm-userland-assembly

RE: ARM v8 learning setup - xmixahlx - 04-20-2020

so cheekiness aside, if you are looking for 16GB of RAM on an arm64 setup please LMK your other solutions. native development is what supports arch development, not virtualization.