PINE64
An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+--- Thread: An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro (/showthread.php?tid=8487)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro - Der Geist der Maschine - 01-29-2020

Debian 10 + Manjaro Kernel

My experience from running Debian 10 for a few days:

The kernel is rock stable. Debian 10 with xorg is rock stable. I don't run into the instability of Bullseye (as reported here and there on the forum).

Potential downside is graphics. I can live with it and patiently wait for Debian 11:
  • Firefox: youtube can play videos up to 720p in native resolution and full-screen as well. The cpu load is reasonable low.
  • Mplayer can play videos up to 720p in native resolution, only. The cpu load is reasonable low. Mplayer can't scale 720p video to full-screen. Other video players have one issue or another as well.
For a few days, I was running fbturbo, but it trashed my /var/log/Xorg.log file with 50MB/day of harmless messages. I did not see an improvement in video playback. Maybe there are some other subtile improvements elsewhere? Anyway, I'm back to the default xorg driver.

I've seen folks building mesa-git on Bullseye. In theory, it should be also possible on Debian 10. Last week, I tried building mesa-git but it had dependencies on wayland and so I stopped. Also, you don't have the convenience of apt-get automagically applying the latest bug and security fixes.

Debian 10 is good enough for me. You mileage may vary. Its biggest selling point is it simply works.

RE: An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro - xmixahlx - 01-29-2020

you can edit the mesa-git script to exclude wayland if you want (?). is that your only objection?

RE: An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro - PineFan - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 12:40 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: Debian 10 + Manjaro Kernel

The kernel is rock stable. Debian 10 with xorg is rock stable. I don't run into the instability of Bullseye (as reported here and there on the forum).

Potential downside is graphics. I can live with it and patiently wait for Debian 11:
  • Firefox: youtube can play videos up to 720p in native resolution and full-screen as well. The cpu load is reasonable low.
  • Mplayer can play videos up to 720p in native resolution, only. The cpu load is reasonable low. Mplayer can't scale 720p video to full-screen. Other video players have one issue or another as well.
For a few days, I was running fbturbo, but it trashed my /var/log/Xorg.log file with 50MB/day of harmless messages.

I've seen folks building mesa-git on Bullseye. In theory, it should be also possible on Debian 10. Last week, I tried building mesa-git but it had dependencies on wayland and so I stopped. Also, you don't have the convenience of apt-get automagically applying the latest bug and security fixes.

Debian 10 is good enough for me. You mileage may vary. Its biggest selling point is it simply works.

This sounds good and a great way to go.  Hope it continues to prove out.   Love Debian 10.   Thanks for the update and sharing.

RE: An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro - Jeremiah Cornelius - 01-29-2020

< SNIP >

After futzing these few days on Bullseye, I'm just about ready to join you on Buster.
What changes did you make to @danielt installer to pull a Buster debbootstrap, or what arguments did you supply?

I will bootstrap a new install on my just working nVME. apt-clone or dpkg set-selections/get-selections ought to be enough to migrate my working desktop, and an rsync of my $HOME will save the dumb, manual recreation of every setup item!

you can edit the installer for almost any debian channel. I did this to install unstable directly. from memory...

search for bullseye in the installer debootstrap and change the release.

change the repos in /etc/apt/sources.list

RE: An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro - Jeremiah Cornelius - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 04:51 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: you can edit the installer for almost any debian channel. I did this to install unstable directly. from memory...

search for bullseye in the installer debootstrap and change the release.

change the repos in /etc/apt/sources.list

Thanks! I got the bullsye/buster change in the install-debian script. But? I'd missed the sources.list!

Here we go again!
https://imgur.com/a/sDuEGAJ

RE: An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro - Der Geist der Maschine - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 04:16 PM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote:

< SNIP >

After futzing these few days on Bullseye, I'm just about ready to join you on Buster.
What changes did you make to @danielt installer to pull a Buster debbootstrap, or what arguments did you supply?

These were my changes on top of Daniel's debbootstrap http://students.engr.scu.edu/~sschaeck/scratch/buster.patch

Note, I also made the boot more verbose. You may not need all my changes. It is very important that you don't blindly replace bullseye with buster in etc/apt/sources.list. Use my sources.list from the patch.

I used the standard commandline arguments. Nothing special.

Please report back if you should find issues with Debian 10.

(01-29-2020, 04:59 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: These were my changes on top of Daniel's debbootstrap http://students.engr.scu.edu/~sschaeck/scratch/buster.patch

Note, I also made the boot more verbose. You may not need all my changes. It is very important that you don't blindly replace bullseye with buster in etc/apt/sources.list. Use my sources.list from the patch.

I used the standard commandline arguments. Nothing special.

Please report back if you should find issues with Debian 10.

Perfect. And yes, I'm ready to share!
How are you applying the patch? I see it's not just for the install-debian script. I'll try patch -p0 < buster.patch on a copy of the git branch and see what goes...

Hey. That worked!

...very important for what reason?

(01-29-2020, 07:13 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: ...very important for what reason?

When replacing bullseye with buster, not all entries in source.list are valid, anymore

The details escape me, but when the installer was processing source.list it just ended. No error message. As I have never run the installer before, I thought the installation was complete, but it was not.

The take-away, you need a complete and correct source.list file.

By the way, the only problem on Debian 10 is mplayer messing up the mouse pointer. My work-around is this alias

Code:
alias mplayer='(sleep 2; xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr) & /usr/bin/mplayer'

xsetroot regenerates the mouse pointer (after 2 seconds).

I don't think it should matter as Debian 10 is pretty mature, but my desktop environment is Mate and things simply work.