PINE64
GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+--- Thread: GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 (/showthread.php?tid=8450)

GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 - ventus_orientis - 11-29-2019

Hey,

It seems to me that the GPU isn't used at all on Ubuntu 18.04 on my pbp.
At least powertop reports 100% idle for the GPU even when playing video (in browser and mpv).
Does anyone else have a similar experience?

RE: GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 - tllim - 12-01-2019

(11-29-2019, 04:32 AM)ventus_orientis Wrote: Hey,

It seems to me that the GPU isn't used at all on Ubuntu 18.04 on my pbp.
At least powertop reports 100% idle for the GPU even when playing video (in browser and mpv).
Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Playing video involves VPU, not GPU which is for graphic processing.

RE: GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 - Jeffersoniantoo - 12-01-2019

Mine was working, then I think I broke it. Stellarium doesn't start properly anymore and 1080 videos are laggy.

glxinfo gives this at the beginning...

name of display: :0.0
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open rockchip (search paths /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: rockchip
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open rockchip (search paths /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: rockchip

There is nothing labeled "rockchip" in the path, but there are 22 drivers...

Any ideas?

RE: GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 - Luke - 12-01-2019

Use MPV media player - that has accelerated video playack for files up-to 4K@30FPS.

You can also use SMplayer with 1080p files. For SMPlayer you just need to specify settings in the config.

RE: GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 - Jeffersoniantoo - 12-01-2019

(12-01-2019, 03:06 PM)Luke Wrote: Use MPV media player - that has accelerated video playack for files up-to 4K@30FPS.

You can also use SMplayer with 1080p files. For SMPlayer you just need to specify settings in the config.

Thanks, Luke!

smplayer works without lagging though it seems grainy.  I was using vlc.

Still can't get stellarium to work, though it worked right after I installed it.

Still works in the default debian build, but opens a small box and just sits there in Ubuntu/mate 18.04.

I was trying to get wine to work, when I started having video issues.  If I have to, I'll reflash the SD back to the original image and then reinstall stuff (carefully).

Thanks again!

RE: GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 - Luke - 12-01-2019

(12-01-2019, 03:18 PM)Jeffersoniantoo Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 03:06 PM)Luke Wrote: Use MPV media player - that has accelerated video playack for files up-to 4K@30FPS.

Thanks, Luke!

smplayer works without lagging though it seems grainy.  I was using vlc.

Still can't get stellarium to work, though it worked right after I installed it.

Still works in the default debian build, but opens a small box and just sits there in Ubuntu/mate 18.04.

I was trying to get wine to work, when I started having video issues.  If I have to, I'll reflash the SD back to the original image and then reinstall stuff (carefully).

Thanks again!

Experiment and have fun Smile

RE: GPU accelaration ubuntu 18.04 - ventus_orientis - 12-02-2019

glxinfo aso shows that there is an error loading the video driver (mpv does show the same error, rkmpv does the same).
also: the gpu is not used when running software like glxgears.
This is seems to be a problem with the video accelaration.
I hope it can be fixed?