PINE64
State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+--- Thread: State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? (/showthread.php?tid=8384)

State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? - Arwen - 11-20-2019

With some issues of suspend, I noticed that hibernate is not an option on the default Debian OS.
Using flash drives, either eMMC or NVMe, returning from hibernate is pretty fast.

On implementation, I've always used hibernate with dedicated swap partition. That's not in the default Debian OS. Easy enough to fix.

Anyone interested in hibernate?
Or hybrid-sleep?
How does hibernate work with swap file?

Note: hybrid-sleep is a combination of suspend for a set time, and if not restored to full power on, automatically hibernate. The hibernate image is written at the beginning of hybrid-sleep. If battery power dies suddenly during the suspend phase, you still have your hibernate image to resume to.

RE: State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? - tophneal - 11-20-2019

I would love to see this! I was looking into the other day, but it appears it's still a bit of a dead end in Manjaro.

RE: State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? - Arglebargle - 11-20-2019

I think Linux introduced arm64 hibernate (to swap, I think?) support around kernel 4.7, so unless someone can backport that patch set into the 4.4 bsp kernel you're waiting on a stable mainline kernel for the PBP before anyone can start working on getting hibernate working. If you're feeling brave you could try to get it working yourself with the manjaro team's mainline kernel source.

RE: State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? - tophneal - 11-20-2019

Though her post is focused on the PB1080, someone did share their efforts on the Manjaro forums. I used my PBP with her guide and saw no change in behavior. I couldn't get the PBP to wake up, and had to reboot to get back in. It still behaved as if no changes were made.

RE: State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? - Arwen - 11-20-2019

Hibernate took me awhile to get working correctly on my x86_x64 laptop. Part of the reason was that I used encrypted swap, which had to be removed and restored as a normal swap before hibernating. I've still got the instructions, so I can poke around at it. But I will wait a bit to see the state of a newer kernel. (I use 4.19.82 at home right now.)

For those thinking about it, I'd suggest a 4GB swap partition. Whence I feel I have enough backup and restore methods in place, (for the original stock Debian), I'll repartition my eMMC to include a 4GB swap partition. (Plus, have 2 root partitions so I can experiment with OSes.)

RE: State of hibernate or hybrid-sleep? - tophneal - 11-21-2019

(11-20-2019, 07:05 PM)Arwen Wrote: Hibernate took me awhile to get working correctly on my x86_x64 laptop. Part of the reason was that I used encrypted swap, which had to be removed and restored as a normal swap before hibernating. I've still got the instructions, so I can poke around at it. But I will wait a bit to see the state of a newer kernel. (I use 4.19.82 at home right now.)

For those thinking about it, I'd suggest a 4GB swap partition. Whence I feel I have enough backup and restore methods in place, (for the original stock Debian), I'll repartition my eMMC to include a 4GB swap partition. (Plus, have 2 root partitions so I can experiment with OSes.)

Keep us posted on your results!