PINE64
Rockpro64 PCI-Express Issue. - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: ROCKPRO64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+--- Forum: RockPro64 Hardware and Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=102)
+--- Thread: Rockpro64 PCI-Express Issue. (/showthread.php?tid=8374)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Rockpro64 PCI-Express Issue. - kuleszdl - 04-22-2020

@t4_4t @pgwipeout Thank you for sharing these interesting findings!

My board is v2.1 2018-07-02 and it does NOT have the mentioned capacitors. I am not sure about the jumpers you mentioned but I don't see any wires there. Would it make sense to add them?

Here's a picture of my unit, I will try to supply a better picture later:

.jpg   rockpro64-nocapacitors2.jpg (Size: 464.56 KB / Downloads: 558)

Also, could you please describe the performance improvement you gained? Currently, I am getting only 560-580 MB/s in `hdparm --direct -t` test with a Samsung 970 Evo that is supposed to be much faster as well as a kernel panic when I insert a Dualport NIC (both cards are PCIe x4).

RE: Rockpro64 PCI-Express Issue. - pgwipeout - 04-22-2020

(04-22-2020, 08:56 AM)kuleszdl Wrote: @t4_4t @pgwipeout Thank you for sharing these interesting findings!

My board is v2.1 2018-07-02 and it does NOT have the mentioned capacitors. I am not sure about the jumpers you mentioned but I don't see any wires there. Would it make sense to add them?

Also, could you please describe the performance improvement you gained? Currently, I am getting only 560-580 MB/s in `hdparm --direct -t` test with a Samsung 970 Evo that is supposed to be much faster as well as a kernel panic when I insert a Dualport NIC (both cards are PCIe x4).

Okay, your board does not have the resistors pairs, but it does have the resistor/capacitor pairs in line of the data lines.
Here's my board after I removed the resistors and added the jumpers around the resistor/capacitor pairs. 
Don't pick on my soldering job, please.

.jpg   Annotation 2020-04-22 105427.jpg (Size: 217.19 KB / Downloads: 568)

RE: Rockpro64 PCI-Express Issue. - pgwipeout - 04-23-2020

(04-22-2020, 08:56 AM)kuleszdl Wrote: @t4_4t @pgwipeout Thank you for sharing these interesting findings!

Unfortunately I didn't have a card that hit the upper bandwidth until after I modified it.

What I did notice is under heavy data load my network card would occasionally fault and require a board reset to recover completely.
The kernel also pogos less while enumerating the card, and pcie init completes about a second faster.
Can't guarantee if the jumpers will help you, since I also had to remove the resistors that are already gone from your board.

I did a lot of research into pcie design before deciding to go all the way, because removing components is easy, putting components on is a lot harder.

By the way, what is the exact kernel version you are using? <uname -a>

RE: Rockpro64 PCI-Express Issue. - t4_4t - 04-23-2020

> rockpro64-nocapacitors2.jpg
I saw the jpg you posted, it's probably a board that's already fixed.
I think that the resistance "R89506 / R89507" was changed to 0Ω and the capacitor "C50007 / C50008" was left as it was.
This is exactly what I did.

The impedance of the PCIE transmission line is specified as 50Ω.
For this standard, the effect of the capacitor "C50007/C50008" is 1Ω or less, and even if there is, it has almost no effect.
On the other hand, the resistors has an error of +50Ω or more with respect to the standard value of 50Ω, which is an unacceptable error.

You can check whether it is working properly by the following method.
Code:
# lspci -vvv | grep Speed
               LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L0s <256ns, L1 <8us
=>             LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
               LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
               LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L0s <1us, L1 <8us
=>             LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
               LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 8GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-

> I am getting only 560-580 MB/s in `hdparm --direct -t` test with a Samsung 970 Evo that...
Please refer to the post below.
The Performance varies depending on the kernel type and test method.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6349&pid=39681#pid39681

(04-23-2020, 05:54 AM)t4_4t Wrote: > rockpro64-nocapacitors2.jpg
I saw the jpg you posted, it's probably a board that's already fixed.
I think that the resistance "R89506 / R89507" was changed to 0Ω and the capacitor "C50007 / C50008" was left as it was.
This is exactly what I did.

The impedance of the PCIE transmission line is specified as 50Ω.
For this standard, the effect of the capacitor "C50007/C50008" is 1Ω or less, and even if there is, it has almost no effect.
On the other hand, the resistors has an error of +50Ω or more with respect to the standard value of 50Ω, which is an unacceptable error.

You can check whether it is working properly by the following method.
Code:
# lspci -vvv | grep Speed
               LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L0s <256ns, L1 <8us
               LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L0s <1us, L1 <8us
               LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 8GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-

> I am getting only 560-580 MB/s in `hdparm --direct -t` test with a Samsung 970 Evo that...
Please refer to the post below.
The Performance varies depending on the kernel type and test method.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6349&pid=39681#pid39681

The Rockpro64 can do 5GT/s?

Currently the rk3399 pcie controller is limited to pcie gen 1 in the dtsi.
`max-link-speed = <1>;`

RE: Rockpro64 PCI-Express Issue. - kuleszdl - 04-23-2020

Thank you a lot for the feedback! I am running kernel 5.5.17 without patches:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/linux-image-arm64

I will try with a patched kernel (5.4-stable and 5.7-rc2 from Armbian) and do the proposed lspci call before trying further steps.

@Luke @tllim My impression is that the provided schematics are outdated as the changes made in the revision "v2.1 2018-07-02" are not covered. I would appreciate it if you could provide us with updated schematics.

So, I just patched my device tree to 
Code:
max-link-speed = <2>;

Now, I've got this:
Code:
root@rockpro64:~# lspci -vvv | grep Speed
               LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L1 <8us
               LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s (ok), Width x4 (ok)
               LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Exit Latency L0s unlimited
               LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s (ok), Width x4 (downgraded)
               LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Exit Latency L0s unlimited
               LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s (ok), Width x4 (downgraded)

So yes, mainline needs to be fixed in a few places (I'll submit patches here shortly).

I am getting the following with the unpatched Debian unstable kernel and an ASMedia-based 4-Port SATA card inserted:

Code:
root@devuan:~# lspci -vvv|grep Speed
               LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L0s <256ns, L1 <8us

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
               LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
               LnkCap: Port #1, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM not supported, Exit Latency L0s unlimited, L1 <2us
               LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

Edit: Tried with latest 5.7-rc2 kernel from Armbian: same result
Edit2: Tried with 5.4.32 kernel with rockchip-specific patches from Armbian: same result

Both kernels hang with the inserted PCIe x4 gigabit card, and both also boot fine with the inserted NVMe card (just like the regular Debian unstable kernel).

@pgwipeout Patches highly appreciated, but if it's just the single change you mentioned this should be already sufficient.

So apparently the rk3399 has an errata that caused the rockchip group to drop it down to gen 1.
I'm raising a few arguments how this is not correct.
You can follow it here:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11505857/

Thanks for bringing this upstream. I wonder if it would be possible to change this behavior via a kernel command line parameter, so people with boards where it works could enable it. Any ideas regarding this?

Btw.: I've been busy setting up the compile environment and had already figured applied the change (but was not sure whether it was the only one that was needed). I am now recompiling and will report back if it worked - especially if it worked on my obviously revised v2.1 2018-07-02 board.

Edit: There is a separate dts for the v2 version of the rockpro64. Maybe creating an alternative one based on this for boards with the newer revision could work?