PINE64
i3 Setup and Configuration - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Pinebook Pro Tutorials (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: i3 Setup and Configuration (/showthread.php?tid=8261)

i3 Setup and Configuration - CandyAngel - 11-09-2019

This topic is to act as a guide for setting up i3 on the Pinebook Pro.

Installation

Install the `i3` and `dmenu` packages.

Change LightDM configuration to add the `Sessions` widget so i3 can be chosen at login.

No text in window titles or bar

Edit the i3 configuration file (.config/i3/config) and remove the 'pango:' from the font option. This makes i3 fall back to another font.

TODO: Find better solution.

Inhibit power button

Hitting the power button will shut down the system immediately and its placement (above the backspace) makes this very likely to happen. You can either disable logind from handling the power button at all (set HandlePowerKey to `ignore` in /etc/systemd/logind.conf) or use the same method as other environments and inhibit the handling of the keypress.

You can do this by running the following command in the background:
Code:
systemd-inhibit --what=handle-power-key --who=i3 --why="accidental strike defense" sleep infinity

TODO: Describe how to add this as part of i3 configuration.
TODO: Describe how to make it into a prompt via e.g. i3-nagbar.

RE: i3 Setup and Configuration - Axevy - 11-16-2019

(11-09-2019, 09:32 AM)CandyAngel Wrote: Change LightDM configuration to add the `Sessions` widget so i3 can be chosen at login.

Hi,
I don't understand this part, can someone please write the steps in order to get this part done ?
Thanks in advance.

RE: i3 Setup and Configuration - IAteYourBacon - 11-17-2019

(11-16-2019, 07:13 PM)Axevy Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 09:32 AM)CandyAngel Wrote: Change LightDM configuration to add the `Sessions` widget so i3 can be chosen at login.

Hi,
I don't understand this part, can someone please write the steps in order to get this part done ?
Thanks in advance.

Open the pine menu
Go in Administration and open "LightDM GTK+ Greeter settings"
Select the "Panel" tab
Click the "+" button
Select "Sessions menu" next to indicator
Click "Add' then "OK"
Click "Save" then "Close"

Next time you are on the login screen, you'll have a menu in the top right corner to switch window manager.

RE: i3 Setup and Configuration - Keith - 01-12-2020

also suggest installing 'clipit' 'i3status' 'i3blocks' packages.
#for a battery icon add to config, this also gives preference to change power button behavior.
bar {
}
exec mate-power-manager

# Screen brightness controls (already worked for me without this config addition)
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessUp exec xbacklight -inc 20 # increase screen brightness
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessDown exec xbacklight -dec 20 # decrease screen brightness

# Pulse Audio controls
bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-volume 0 +5% #increase sound volume
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-volume 0 -5% #decrease sound volume
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-mute 0 toggle # mute sound

# Touchpad controls
bindsym XF86TouchpadToggle exec /some/path/toggletouchpad.sh # toggle touchpad