PINE64
Left-side USB 3.0 port not working - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Left-side USB 3.0 port not working (/showthread.php?tid=8243)

Left-side USB 3.0 port not working - diodelass - 11-07-2019

I've been having trouble getting my Pinebook Pro's left-hand USB port, the large Type-A one with the blue interior and superspeed pins, to work at all. I can get power from it alright (though no data on whether negotiation is working yet), but nothing I plug into it enumerates or shows up in `lsusb`, nor does `dmesg` show any events. This applies to both USB-2.0-only devices, as well as those that support USB 3.0. The other USB ports - the Type-C one, and the 2.0 Type-A one on the right side, are both working just fine, so I'm suspecting the hardware here. I'm mainly posting this thread to ask if anyone else can confirm that their 3.0 port works, just so we can narrow it down to a spurious defect in my particular unit (one that I, confident with a soldering iron, might repair) or a more general design flaw or firmware bug that needs more professional attention.

So, does your left Type-A USB port work?

RE: Left-side USB 3.0 port not working - VoxUnius - 11-07-2019

(11-07-2019, 07:22 PM)diodelass Wrote: I've been having trouble getting my Pinebook Pro's left-hand USB port, the large Type-A one with the blue interior and superspeed pins, to work at all. I can get power from it alright (though no data on whether negotiation is working yet), but nothing I plug into it enumerates or shows up in `lsusb`, nor does `dmesg` show any events. This applies to both USB-2.0-only devices, as well as those that support USB 3.0. The other USB ports - the Type-C one, and the 2.0 Type-A one on the right side, are both working just fine, so I'm suspecting the hardware here. I'm mainly posting this thread to ask if anyone else can confirm that their 3.0 port works, just so we can narrow it down to a spurious defect in my particular unit (one that I, confident with a soldering iron, might repair) or a more general design flaw or firmware bug that needs more professional attention.

So, does your left Type-A USB port work?

I only tried to plug a mouse receiver in it, and it didn't work. I should probably check if the kernel was compiled with xHCI support.

RE: Left-side USB 3.0 port not working - electriccrowbar - 11-07-2019

Could you post what distros you are using ?

RE: Left-side USB 3.0 port not working - VoxUnius - 11-08-2019

(11-07-2019, 11:54 PM)electriccrowbar Wrote: Could you post what distros you are using ?

The default Debian and Ubuntu Bionic.
I think I only tried to use it in Debian, haven't tried Ubuntu. I'll let you know when I have a chance to try.

RE: Left-side USB 3.0 port not working - hdk - 11-08-2019

(11-08-2019, 12:09 AM)VoxUnius Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 11:54 PM)electriccrowbar Wrote: Could you post what distros you are using ?

The default Debian and Ubuntu Bionic.
I think I only tried to use it in Debian, haven't tried Ubuntu. I'll let you know when I have a chance to try.

Default Debian, left usb port mouse Logitech m325 working ok.

RE: Left-side USB 3.0 port not working - diodelass - 11-08-2019

Ubuntu Bionic, one of ayufan's images, is what I have now. I didn't get it to work under either this or the factory Debian install, though.

RE: Left-side USB 3.0 port not working - tgrauss - 11-09-2019

I also had problem with the USB3 not working with the stock debian image (even after updates).
Now it is working after I installed Ubuntu/Mate