PINE64
USB-A (big ones) slots - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Hardware (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+--- Thread: USB-A (big ones) slots (/showthread.php?tid=8121)

USB-A (big ones) slots - mitcoes - 10-24-2019

I would love to have at least 2 USB-A (big ones) slots in a phone.

That way cheap pen drives can be plugged in to increase the storage, or watch films // series or listen to music previously recorded from your main computer. Backups would be also great.

Also can let you use your phone as a desktop computer plugin a wireless adapter or cable keyboard and mouse. Or gaming with a lot of USB game controls. And of course, using a bigger screen.

I know you can plug a USB hub, but having at least 2 for storage - and copy - on the go would be a great differential feature and for security purposes, a USB hard key.

Last but not least the phone with HDMI out will also be able to be used as a TV box and or a NAS (OMV) once a new model will be purchased with cheap USB-A pen drive storage.

RE: USB-A (big ones) slots - Watercourse - 10-24-2019

I understand where you're coming from there, yet i personally would like it to still fit easily in in my hand and my my pocket.

RE: USB-A (big ones) slots - vituous - 10-24-2019

(10-24-2019, 04:32 AM)mitcoes Wrote: I would love to have at least 2 USB-A (big ones) slots in a phone.

That way cheap pen drives can be plugged in to increase the storage, or watch films // series or listen to music previously recorded from your main computer. Backups would be also great.

Also can let you use your phone as a desktop computer plugin a wireless adapter or cable keyboard and mouse. Or gaming with a lot of USB game controls. And of course, using a bigger screen.

I know you can plug a USB hub, but having at least 2 for storage - and copy - on the go would be a great differential feature and for security purposes, a USB hard key.

Last but not least the phone with HDMI out will also be able to be used as a TV box and or a NAS (OMV) once a new model will be purchased with cheap USB-A pen drive storage.
GET A USB-C FLASH DRIVE
IT ALREADY SUPPORTS VIDEO OUT
WHAT ABOUT ETHERNET AND SATA AND EVERTHING ELSE UNDER THE SUN
IT IS A PHONE AND USES THE SAME PROCESSOR AS THE PINEBOOK>>>
WHICH MEANS PRACTICALLY NO GAMING IS POSSIBLE
MINIMALISM RULES THE WORLD

RE: USB-A (big ones) slots - bcnaz - 10-26-2019

(BIG ONES)

There are the short corded adapters available, from mini or micro to full size...
Greatly reduce the risk of damaging those small receptacles on the phone..!
I have had to replace several phones because of those delicate little ports. !
Much cheaper than replacing a phone.

RE: USB-A (big ones) slots - tllim - 10-30-2019

(10-26-2019, 12:37 AM)bcnaz Wrote: (BIG ONES)

There are the short corded adapters available, from mini or micro to full size...

The PinePhone Type-C connector place is a small board that separate from main-board. If case you damage the Type-C connector, just order the small board and replace yourselves which takes less than 5 minutes with one small Philip screw driver.

For the USB type A, Ethernet and HDMI output, we have design a type-C docking bar that will work with PinePhone.

RE: USB-A (big ones) slots - vinnie - 11-04-2019

In fact, when I saw that in the "development" board there are ethernet, hdmi and big usb already available I felt a little jealous, but I also understand that there are few people like me who don't have any problem having a phone a cm thick, and so I prefer the phone to be attractive to many people as possible.
But on one thing I agree with you mitcoes, which is something that often many people do not think, having only one usb (no matter what type) does not allow you to use the usb with another device and simultaneously charge the phone (if the device does not offer itself a charge, such as a usb memory).
So yes, minimalism rules the world.

However apart from the genial idea of making the usb port easily replaceable (which is one of the things that has always been ruined in my devices), I am infinitely grateful to you for choosing usb-c because it is constructively really more resistant than the alternatives.

RE: USB-A (big ones) slots - bcnaz - 11-30-2019

(10-30-2019, 07:46 PM)tllim Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 12:37 AM)bcnaz Wrote: (BIG ONES)

The PinePhone Type-C connector place is a small board that separate from main-board. If case you damage the Type-C connector, just order the small board and replace yourselves which takes less than 5 minutes with one small Philip screw driver.

For the USB type A, Ethernet and HDMI output, we have design a type-C docking bar that will work with PinePhone.

That is really Great !

Though we would have to order the part and wait for it to arrive.

* I would do that if I do manage to break it,

***  but I personally would prefer to make an attempt to not break it to start with.