PINE64
Rock64 - Headless Setup? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: ROCK64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Forum: Linux on Rock64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=88)
+--- Thread: Rock64 - Headless Setup? (/showthread.php?tid=7276)

Rock64 - Headless Setup? - SirRyanTheGeek - 03-17-2019

I'd like to be able to transfer an image of Bionic (or whichever - I've tried a few) to the Rock64 and have it boot, connect to my wireless LAN and allow me to ssh in headless. 

I purchased the Rock64 along with the recommended USB Wireless dongle from the shop - and can't seem to get any combination of putting in a "wpa_supplicant.conf" file and a blank file of "ssh" like I do with the Debian installs on the Pi. I still always have to connect monitor and keyboard to get it to come up and get connected.

Anyone have a link on "Rock64 Headless Setup" they could point me to? I've tried my Google and duck-fu to no avail.

Any tips would be deeply welcomed! Thanks!

Ryan

RE: Rock64 - Headless Setup? - evilbunny - 03-17-2019

(03-17-2019, 10:09 PM)SirRyanTheGeek Wrote: I purchased the Rock64 along with the recommended USB Wireless dongle from the shop - and can't seem to get any combination of putting in a "wpa_supplicant.conf" file and a blank file of "ssh" like I do with the Debian installs on the Pi. I still always have to connect monitor and keyboard to get it to come up and get connected.

Use nmtui

RE: Rock64 - Headless Setup? - SirRyanTheGeek - 03-18-2019

(03-17-2019, 10:57 PM)evilbunny Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 10:09 PM)SirRyanTheGeek Wrote: I purchased the Rock64 along with the recommended USB Wireless dongle from the shop - and can't seem to get any combination of putting in a "wpa_supplicant.conf" file and a blank file of "ssh" like I do with the Debian installs on the Pi. I still always have to connect monitor and keyboard to get it to come up and get connected.

Use nmtui

RE: Rock64 - Headless Setup? - SirRyanTheGeek - 03-18-2019

(03-17-2019, 10:57 PM)evilbunny Wrote:

Use nmtui

Yep. I did that and that's how I got it to connect - but that required me to boot it, plug in a monitor a keyboard and run that stuff. Is there a way to create the image for "first boot" when I plug it in to the Rock64 and turn it on that it's automatically connected and accessible from my internal LAN?

RE: Rock64 - Headless Setup? - evilbunny - 03-18-2019

(03-18-2019, 07:26 AM)SirRyanTheGeek Wrote: Yep. I did that and that's how I got it to connect - but that required me to boot it, plug in a monitor a keyboard and run that stuff. Is there a way to create the image for "first boot" when I plug it in to the Rock64 and turn it on that it's automatically connected and accessible from my internal LAN?

I have the following on one of my systems

Code:
auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.100
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Code:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="ssid"
    psk="password"
}

RE: Rock64 - Headless Setup? - SirRyanTheGeek - 03-20-2019

I have the following on one of my systems

Code:
auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
   address 192.168.0.100
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   gateway 192.168.0.1
   wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Code:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="ssid"
    psk="password"
}

That first piece of code - where it references the supplicant file - where does that live? Thanks!

RE: Rock64 - Headless Setup? - evilbunny - 03-20-2019

(03-20-2019, 10:04 AM)SirRyanTheGeek Wrote: That first piece of code - where it references the supplicant file - where does that live? Thanks!

Sorry about that, /etc/network/interfaces, you may need to change wlan0 interface name if the system is using mac address naming...