PINE64
RockPro64 UPS for in car use - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: ROCKPRO64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+--- Forum: RockPro64 Hardware and Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=102)
+--- Thread: RockPro64 UPS for in car use (/showthread.php?tid=7274)

RockPro64 UPS for in car use - nJoy. - 03-17-2019

Hi, so I am looking for a UPS in car use. So I could shut down vehicle power and my RockPro64 would turn off itself without any corruption. Anyone has any suggestions which would work with rockpro? I have found so many, but not sure which one would be compatable.

Thanks

RE: RockPro64 UPS for in car use - fender90 - 03-18-2019

Hey bro. I wrote about power management in the other thread you posted.
You need to find out if RockPro64 has some kind of pwr_off pin which can be shorted with another pin to imitate power button. My Odroid XU4 has a dedicated PWR_OFF pin which can be shorted with any of 1.8-5v pins to initiate shutdown process. So I simply connected my Mini-Box DC-DC 200 board to these pins. What the Mini-Box board does is it detects ignition switching and shortens the pins on my Odroid XU4 and waits around 40 secs to make sure the board shuts down. After 40 seconds it completely cuts the power from car battery.
When you turn the ignition on the Odroid XU4 gets power automatically and starts. The board from Mini-Box also has protection so you don't fry your single board computer.

If RockPro64 has similar pins you can use it will be pretty easy (still not very cheap) to do that.

RE: RockPro64 UPS for in car use - ender_saved - 06-19-2019

(03-18-2019, 10:09 AM)fender90 Wrote: Hey bro. I wrote about power management in the other thread you posted.
You need to find out if RockPro64 has some kind of pwr_off pin which can be shorted with another pin to imitate power button. My Odroid XU4 has a dedicated PWR_OFF pin which can be shorted with any of 1.8-5v pins to initiate shutdown process. So I simply connected my Mini-Box DC-DC 200 board to these pins. What the Mini-Box board does is it detects ignition switching and shortens the pins on my Odroid XU4 and waits around 40 secs to make sure the board shuts down. After 40 seconds it completely cuts the power from car battery.
When you turn the ignition on the Odroid XU4 gets power automatically and starts. The board from Mini-Box also has protection so you don't fry your single board computer.

If RockPro64 has similar pins you can use it will be pretty easy (still not very cheap) to do that.

[Image: G4sfZ6f.png]

I added header pins to the locations circled and use a standard momentary switch.  The OS you use can decide what the response is.  Hope this helps

RE: RockPro64 UPS for in car use - rahulsharma - 10-23-2019

(06-19-2019, 09:00 AM)ender_saved Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 10:09 AM)fender90 Wrote: Hey bro. I wrote about power management in the other thread you posted.

[Image: G4sfZ6f.png]

I added header pins to the locations circled and use a standard momentary switch.  The OS you use can decide what the response is.  Hope this helps

Hi,
I am also trying to do some sort of power backup just for few mins so that i can gracefully shutdown the rockpro64.
It will be great if i can get few comments on my querries.

1) In above highlighted circle, What should be the connection to replicate the power button function? should i short REC pin to PWR pin? or REC pin to GND. I am not able to find the document regarding these 4 exposed pins.

2) Which type OS shutdown is good shutdown? from command line or direct Pin shorting. 
I think for propper shutdown i should use propper command line shutdown.

To achieve above condition, is there any dedicated module from pine or anywhere? Basically i want if power goes then there is some module which gracefully shut it down and when power comes back, my rockpro64 get power on.

Thanks.