PINE64
PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable (/showthread.php?tid=6523)

PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - jameling - 09-11-2018

I was registered one month ago and now I get a Coupon Code.
When finally I prepearing accomplish purchase order, I re-checked Specifications and found:

RAM: 2 GB LPDDR3 RAM Memory
Flash: 16 GB eMMC 5.0 (upgradable up to 64GB)

I am glad the Flash upgradable, but I dont't understand why RAM seems not upgradable? ROCK64 SINGLE BOARD COMPUTER has 4GB RAM, but the Pinebook has only 2GB, is it really enough?

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - fitter - 09-11-2018

RAM is soldered.
ROCK64 has a different CPU and AFAIK CPU from Pinebook does not support 4GB of RAM

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - Luke - 09-11-2018

Correct, different SOC (AllWinner A64).

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - jameling - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 05:05 AM)Luke Wrote: Correct, different SOC (AllWinner A64).

Thank you, I need to read more about that.

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - z4v4l - 09-11-2018

A64 does support 3GB at maximum. But for RAM to be "upgradable", it apparently has to have SODIMM slots. Smile it could, but the price won't be as it is now. happily RAM is a quite long living thing. and 2GB is a gewd amount.

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - Luke - 09-11-2018

3GB of RAM have been discussed. In general, having weight in on the pros and cons, and considered what is worth upgrading while keeping the price at approx $100, the decision was made to improve the LCD. If there ever will be a higher-end Pinebook, then I think that will likely have more RAM, but it will also cater to a different-end use case.

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - jameling - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 07:06 AM)z4v4l Wrote: A64 does support 3GB at maximum. But for RAM to be "upgradable", it apparently has to have SODIMM slots. Smile it could, but the price won't be as it is now. happily RAM is a quite long living thing. and 2GB is a gewd amount.

Thank you, I had put my order and paid, now waiting my Pinebook should be arrive in mid of Oct. Rolleyes

(09-11-2018, 08:51 AM)Luke Wrote: 3GB of RAM have been discussed. In general, having weight in on the pros and cons, and considered what is worth upgrading while keeping the price at approx $100, the decision was made to improve the LCD. If there ever will be a higher-end Pinebook, then I think that will likely have more RAM, but it will also cater to a different-end use case.

Understand, 1GB of RAM is expensive, but an empty slot is cheap, may be you can add a slot in furture.

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - erha - 09-11-2018

Hi @jameling, are you sure that you registered to queue month ago? I registered on August 1st and I didn't received my coupon yet.

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - jameling - 09-12-2018

(09-11-2018, 11:52 AM)erha Wrote: Hi @jameling, are you sure that you registered to queue month ago? I registered on August 1st and I didn't received my coupon yet.

According my Email record, 

received "Account Activation at PINE64" email in Aug 21, so I think I registered that day, and put the order request same day, I am not sure I do it correct, so I put order twice.(Sorry)

I received 2 Email in Sep. 6, title "Meet your New 11.6” Pinebook !" with different Coupon Code.
Yesterday (Sep. 11) I paid 1 with Coupon Code and get email "Your PINE64 order receipt from September 11, 2018"

If you didn't receive Coupon Code, may be lost in record, I think you can make another request.

RE: PINEBOOK RAM not upgradable - erha - 09-14-2018

(09-12-2018, 04:14 AM)jameling Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 11:52 AM)erha Wrote: Hi @jameling, are you sure that you registered to queue month ago? I registered on August 1st and I didn't received my coupon yet.

According my Email record, 

received "Account Activation at PINE64" email in Aug 21, so I think I registered that day, and put the order request same day, I am not sure I do it correct, so I put order twice.(Sorry)

I received 2 Email in Sep. 6, title "Meet your New 11.6” Pinebook !" with different Coupon Code.
Yesterday (Sep. 11) I paid 1 with Coupon Code and get email "Your PINE64 order receipt from September 11, 2018"

If you didn't receive Coupon Code, may be lost in record, I think you can make another request.
Thank you for your answer. The next day after I post my question I received my coupon! I already ordered my Pinebook and I'm looking forward to it.