PINE64
No Video Output: Solved for me! - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting Started (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: No Video Output: Solved for me! (/showthread.php?tid=616)

No Video Output: Solved for me! - remaker - 04-11-2016

So I have an HP L2335 1920x1200 monitor with DVI, and used a DVI to HDMI cable. A Raspberry Pi works fine with it, but the Pine A64 will not. The screen pops in and out of power save mode.

I switched it to an old Coby TFTV4026 40" LCD TV monitor which provides known-bad EDID information, and it did very well with the Android image booting, but it overscans due to the bad EDID information.

Questions:

Does anyone want to help me debug why the L2335 fails?  Should I report a bug? What do you need to know?

Can you adjust the overscan region and resolution of the Android image?

RE: No Video Output: Solved for me! - Ghost - 04-11-2016

(04-11-2016, 10:13 PM)remaker Wrote: So I have an HP L2335 1920x1200 monitor with DVI, and used a DVI to HDMI cable. A Raspberry Pi works fine with it, but the Pine A64 will not. The screen pops in and out of power save mode.

I switched it to an old Coby TFTV4026 40" LCD TV monitor which provides known-bad EDID information, and it did very well with the Android image booting, but it overscans due to the bad EDID information.

Questions:

Does anyone want to help me debug why the L2335 fails?  Should I report a bug? What do you need to know?

Supposedly, the overscan adjustment functions have been broken in the last two Android images, but it is something that will be being fixed for the next image. What is needed really, is some kind of resolution auto-detect/auto-adjust baked right into the image.

RE: No Video Output: Solved for me! - tllim - 04-12-2016

(04-11-2016, 11:49 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(04-11-2016, 10:13 PM)remaker Wrote: So I have an HP L2335 1920x1200 monitor with DVI, and used a DVI to HDMI cable. A Raspberry Pi works fine with it, but the Pine A64 will not. The screen pops in and out of power save mode.

Questions:

Supposedly, the overscan adjustment functions have been broken in the last two Android images, but it is something that will be being fixed for the next image. What is needed really, is some kind of resolution auto-detect/auto-adjust baked right into the image.

Very sorry on taking so long to resolve the overscan concern. I have meet up with Android team today and we definitely need to release a solution within a week.

RE: No Video Output: Solved for me! - remaker - 04-12-2016

More data: Also fails on a DVI based Dell 2001FP. So a 4:3 and 16:10 ratio monitor failed me.

Is the output limited to 16:9 ratios (720p/1080p?)

Seems like the chip is not picking up EDID information from the monitor.

It works OK on my older COBY TFTV4028, but that has known bad EDID info which may be tripping up the board.

Anyway, looking forward to testing future images with more robust monitor detection and support.