PINE64
System boot from SSD with RockPro64. - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: ROCKPRO64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=99)
+--- Thread: System boot from SSD with RockPro64. (/showthread.php?tid=6096)

System boot from SSD with RockPro64. - Tigger - 05-24-2018

The ROCKPro64 Wiki page specifically mentions 3 system boot options : SPI Flash, eMMC, and SD.
Does that rule out the possibility to boot from a SATA SSD, that’s connected to the RockPro64 SATA expansion card ?

RE: System boot from SSD with RockPro64. - pfeerick - 05-25-2018

(05-24-2018, 11:27 PM)Tigger Wrote: The ROCKPro64 Wiki page specifically mentions 3 system boot options : SPI Flash, eMMC, and SD.
Does that rule out the possibility to boot from a SATA SSD, that’s connected to the RockPro64 SATA expansion card ?

Doesn't completely rule it out. The RK3328 that the rock64 is based on can also only 'only' boot from eMMC, SPI NOR, SPI NAND and SD/MMC... but the rock64 can also boot from USB and ethernet once you load uboot into the SPI NOR chip. So it is a matter of seeing if it is possible to get support for that in uboot for the RK3399, which incidentally has a SPI NOR -> SPI NAND -> eMMC -> SD/MMC boot order, so SPI is ahead of both eMMC and SD now in priority.

RE: System boot from SSD with RockPro64. - Tigger - 05-25-2018

OK, so it's not in BIOS/UEFI. Uboot still needs to be installed on the board itself. I should have been more clear about that I meant the board booting Uboot directly from /boot on the SSD. I am interested in an autonomous installation. So that I can connect the SSD (with Arch Linux ARM or Android) to any RockPro64.

RE: System boot from SSD with RockPro64. - pfeerick - 05-25-2018

(05-25-2018, 05:32 AM)Tigger Wrote: OK, so it's not in BIOS/UEFI. Uboot still needs to be installed on the board itself. I should have been more clear about that I meant the board booting Uboot directly from /boot on the SSD. I am interested in an autonomous installation. So that I can connect the SSD (with Arch Linux ARM or Android) to any RockPro64.

Yeah, the onboard SPI NOR + uboot would be the nearest thing to a BIOS/UEFI equivalent on ARM. If the processor doens't support it directly for booting, it can't be booted directly. However, once you're in uboot... you're only limited to what it can do Wink

RE: System boot from SSD with RockPro64. - Tigger - 05-26-2018

(05-25-2018, 04:32 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 05:32 AM)Tigger Wrote: OK, so it's not in BIOS/UEFI. Uboot still needs to be installed on the board itself. I should have been more clear about that I meant the board booting Uboot directly from /boot on the SSD. I am interested in an autonomous installation. So that I can connect the SSD (with Arch Linux ARM or Android) to any RockPro64.

Yeah, the onboard SPI NOR + uboot would be the nearest thing to a BIOS/UEFI equivalent on ARM. If the processor doens't support it directly for booting, it can't be booted directly. However, once you're in uboot... you're only limited to what it can do Wink

True. Uboot is pretty capable.
Thanks for explaining.