PINE64
RISC OS - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: RISC OS (/showthread.php?tid=6058)

RISC OS - bencollier - 05-13-2018

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get RISC OS running on the Pinebook?

Thanks,

Ben

RE: RISC OS - tllim - 05-14-2018

(05-13-2018, 06:43 AM)bencollier Wrote: Hi,

Thanks,

Ben

Not award RISC OS supports on Pinebook. You can ping RISC OS site to voice support on Pinebook and I am happy to provide Pinebook for their development.

RE: RISC OS - mgrunditz - 06-17-2018

(05-14-2018, 11:25 PM)tllim Wrote:

Thanks,

Ben

Not award RISC OS supports on Pinebook. You can ping RISC OS site to voice support on Pinebook and I am happy to provide Pinebook for their development.

Hi,

I am a RISC OS developer that currently works on a RK3288 port. I have it up and running (gui and so on). But I really want to work on a Pinebook port. I am currently developing for a tinkerboard, but I feel like it is a dead end. No useful "real" hardware.

If you can provide me with hardware I can start ASAP.

But a small question: We really need documentation for the "display engine"... we can't just use a GPL driver because of GPL...
I noticed there are a NetBSD port. BSD is a better licence for us and if that contains a usable DE driver we might use it.

I am looking forward to start this!

RE: RISC OS - tllim - 06-18-2018

(06-17-2018, 04:34 PM)mgrunditz Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 11:25 PM)tllim Wrote:

Thanks,

Ben

Hi,

I am a RISC OS developer that currently works on a RK3288 port. I have it up and running (gui and so on). But I really want to work on a Pinebook port. I am currently developing for a tinkerboard, but I feel like it is a dead end. No useful "real" hardware.

If you can provide me with hardware I can start ASAP.

But a small question: We really need documentation for the "display engine"... we can't just use a GPL driver because of GPL...
I noticed there are a NetBSD port. BSD is a better licence for us and if that contains a usable DE driver we might use it.

I am looking forward to start this!

Thanks on your interest to port RISC OS over to Pinebook. I will PM you and please provide your shipping info.

Regarding the display engine document, Allwinner already deposit to Sunxi wiki site. If you have question regarding DE, please chat with jernej at Sunxi IRC.

RE: RISC OS - guidol - 06-19-2018

Maybe it could be easier to port the linux port of Risc OS to a linux (armbian/ubuntu) on the Pinebook:
https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/3/topics/9068

RE: RISC OS - ImmortanJoe - 08-13-2018

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,
I have been working on a port of RISC OS Open to the Allwinner H3 for quite a while. I actually came over to this forum to try to find out what's going on with the status of the Pinebooks. My work has slowed down to a crawl because of the difficulty of accessing my hardware for working on the port. Time at my desk is very rare. I wanted to get my hands on a Pinebook for both developing on via the RO for Linux version which I can say works on an AW H5, and for developing for, once I work out how to boot into aarch32 SVC mode from U-Boot.

Most of the Allwinner SoCs have so much in common that once the CPU is in the right mode, it should work on pretty much any of the family. It may require some detection to locate the BROM, SRAM etc. but it's no big deal.

I haven't uploaded new code for a while to my GitHub repo, but I have been working on it. A first post with a link probably wouldn't go too well, so just look for the repo username "experimentech" on there.
Not that it'd be any use to anyone here unless they had something with an H3 and a serial port kicking around, I uploaded a fresh uImage to there just now.

I can see absolutely no reason why RISC OS wouldn't run on an aarch64 Allwinner SoC. Most of the hardware is very straightforward and pretty much copypasted from the reference designs.

RE: RISC OS - ImmortanJoe - 09-15-2018

My turn came. I ordered a Pinebook. When it comes it'll be a massive help for me.

The git repository for the H3 port of RO hasn't been updated in ages, sorry. My code is going through some large changes. File renaming, some reorganisation, and lots of half broken code trying to wake up more hardware. Truthfully I don't want to upload it in that state.

Some of the last things I worked on were talking to the video PHY, some processor port control stuff, and the USB OTG port (probably irrelevant for the Pinebook). Like always, the vast majority of time is spent churning through documents trying to work out specifics for some of the hardware.

RE: RISC OS - Twig - 06-01-2020

On a similar note, are there any plans for RISC OS to run on the Pinebook Pro?

Cheers