PINE64
Cannot boot into Xenial Mate - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64-LTS / SOPINE Compute Module (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+--- Forum: Linux on PINE A64-LTS / SOPINE (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: Cannot boot into Xenial Mate (/showthread.php?tid=5989)

Cannot boot into Xenial Mate - Jacob5146 - 04-20-2018

Hello, I got my SOPINE board about 2 months ago and couldn't get it to boot then (same issue, blank screen upon power up). So as of this week I bought a high speed microSD, which before I assumed the reason for not booting was due to a slow SD card. But once again, blank screen  with the new card, and I'm staring to loose faith. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

RE: Cannot boot into Xenial Mate - pfeerick - 04-20-2018

Sorry to hear you've been having problems. Just want to clarify some points to try and work out what the root issue is.
  • You're saying SOPINE board, so this is the sopine compute module on the sopine baseboard?
  • How are you powering the board?
  • How are you writing the SD card? Are you using the pine64 installer or etcher?
  • (The obligatory sanity check) Have you made sure you're using a sopine image, not one for the pine64?
  • What images have you tried? Can you give this one a try for me?

RE: Cannot boot into Xenial Mate - Jacob5146 - 04-20-2018

(04-20-2018, 05:46 PM)pfeerick Wrote: Sorry to hear you've been having problems. Just want to clarify some points to try and work out what the root issue is.
  • You're saying SOPINE board, so this is the sopine compute module on the sopine baseboard?
  • How are you powering the board?
  • How are you writing the SD card? Are you using the pine64 installer or etcher?
  • (The obligatory sanity check) Have you made sure you're using a sopine image, not one for the pine64?
  • What images have you tried? Can you give this one a try for me?

Hi, Yes I'm using a SOPINE compute module on the SOPINE baseboard, sorry for not clarifying.
I'm currently powering the board with the 5v 2A power adapter that is sold with the board (the combo pack).
I'm writing the images with etcher.
Yes haha I'm using the SOPINE images, not Pine64 images.
I have triend Android 6, Android 5, and Xenial Mate. I wish to use Xenial Mate, but have tried Android. Android 5 seems to be the only one that results in the Processor branding in the center of the screen with "Powered by Android" text bellow it, and nothing else happens. The other OS's result in a black screen, nothing else.
Thanks

RE: Cannot boot into Xenial Mate - pfeerick - 04-21-2018

(04-20-2018, 06:14 PM)Jacob5146 Wrote: Yes I'm using a SOPINE compute module on the SOPINE baseboard, sorry for not clarifying.
I have tried Android 6, Android 5, and Xenial Mate. I wish to use Xenial Mate, but have tried Android. Android 5 seems to be the only one that results in the Processor branding in the center of the screen with "Powered by Android" text below it, and nothing else happens. The other OS's result in a black screen, nothing else.

Hehe... I should have mentioned the first one was a sanity check also Wink

Great, so that sounds like we *should* be able to rule out power and the microSD cards being corrupt... for now at least.

Since you're getting something from an Android image... it's also sounding like the card is compatible enough that the pinebook is at least booting. But I'm still wondering if the sopine/sopine baseboard still doesn't like the microSD you're using. I have had no end of issues with the Sandisk (red and grey) cards with pine64s... sometimes they work fine, sometimes they just refuse to play ball. If you're willing, get hold of a Samsung EVO microSD... they're the best performing card I'm come across for their price, aren't ridiculously expensive, and also seem to be the most compatible cards around.

Other than that, hopefully someone else has some ideas to try? If you want to debug it further, being able to connect to the onboard serial port should give some idea as to what is going wrong. Either this (with a suitable USB cable), some sort of USB to TLL Serial Console cable (a good idea to have one of these handy anyway) or any cheap USB to serial converter plus some connector wires will do the trick. Then you'll be able to see what the initial messages from uboot and the kernel are.

RE: Cannot boot into Xenial Mate - Jacob5146 - 04-22-2018

(04-21-2018, 12:23 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 06:14 PM)Jacob5146 Wrote: Yes I'm using a SOPINE compute module on the SOPINE baseboard, sorry for not clarifying.
I have tried Android 6, Android 5, and Xenial Mate. I wish to use Xenial Mate, but have tried Android. Android 5 seems to be the only one that results in the Processor branding in the center of the screen with "Powered by Android" text below it, and nothing else happens. The other OS's result in a black screen, nothing else.

Hehe... I should have mentioned the first one was a sanity check also Wink

Great, so that sounds like we *should* be able to rule out power and the microSD cards being corrupt... for now at least.

Since you're getting something from an Android image... it's also sounding like the card is compatible enough that the pinebook is at least booting. But I'm still wondering if the sopine/sopine baseboard still doesn't like the microSD you're using. I have had no end of issues with the Sandisk (red and grey) cards with pine64s... sometimes they work fine, sometimes they just refuse to play ball. If you're willing, get hold of a Samsung EVO microSD... they're the best performing card I'm come across for their price, aren't ridiculously expensive, and also seem to be the most compatible cards around.

Other than that, hopefully someone else has some ideas to try? If you want to debug it further, being able to connect to the onboard serial port should give some idea as to what is going wrong. Either this (with a suitable USB cable), some sort of USB to TLL Serial Console cable (a good idea to have one of these handy anyway) or any cheap USB to serial converter plus some connector wires will do the trick. Then you'll be able to see what the initial messages from uboot and the kernel are.
Yeah, I actually just had bought a SanDisk 16gb like 4 days ago hoping that it would be the fix. Is there anything else that could allow it to boot, I tired the .img you linked me to but I still had a blank screen saddly.