PINE64
My first Single Board! - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting Started (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: My first Single Board! (/showthread.php?tid=5940)

My first Single Board! - jjh221 - 04-05-2018

Hey guys after a lengthy search for my first single board I settled on the Rock64 mostly because of the 4gb ram. I wish that it had wifi but a dongle works just as well and gives it a little more character. Anyways I just wanted to say hey and thank you for this board. 
It has been many years since I have used linux so I have some reading to do tonight. The wiki seems very informative. Smile Also I have some future plans to bring many more people into the single board world and I hope that this community will help and welcome them. 

I do have one question right now. I flashed my 64gb SD with jessie-minimal-rock64-0.5.15-136-arm64.img however it has no desktop enviroment. What is the easiest way for me to get a pretty looking and easy to use linux up and running quickly? Also security is a major issue. It must be safe. 

Thanks,
J

RE: My first Single Board! - Luke - 04-06-2018

(04-05-2018, 08:16 PM)jjh221 Wrote: Hey guys after a lengthy search for my first single board I settled on the Rock64 mostly because of the 4gb ram. I wish that it had wifi but a dongle works just as well and gives it a little more character. Anyways I just wanted to say hey and thank you for this board. 
It has been many years since I have used linux so I have some reading to do tonight. The wiki seems very informative. Smile Also I have some future plans to bring many more people into the single board world and I hope that this community will help and welcome them. 

I do have one question right now. I flashed my 64gb SD with jessie-minimal-rock64-0.5.15-136-arm64.img however it has no desktop enviroment. What is the easiest way for me to get a pretty looking and easy to use linux up and running quickly? Also security is a major issue. It must be safe. 

Thanks,
J

If you want to use a desktop environment with your Rock64 then please follow this thread. At the end of this month ayufan is aiming to release a stable 0.6.X OS image based on Bionic which will come with LXDE. For now however, you need to install the desktop yourself.

Security isn't an issue.

RE: My first Single Board! - jjh221 - 04-07-2018

Great thanks Luke I'll have a read tonight. What about windows iot?

RE: My first Single Board! - tllim - 04-09-2018

(04-07-2018, 02:06 PM)jjh221 Wrote: Great thanks Luke I'll have a read tonight. What about windows iot?

Windows IoT is NOT Windows OS, it is a dedicated function OS designs for IoT application. ROCK64 doesn't have Windows IoT or Windows OS build.

RE: My first Single Board! - jjh221 - 04-09-2018

ok is there something that is user friendly that will work with the rock64 that has not been built by anyone? sorry for any confusion