PINE64
(ARCHIVED) Debian Jessie Images (3.10.102 BSP Kernel) New Release - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Debian (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+---- Thread: (ARCHIVED) Debian Jessie Images (3.10.102 BSP Kernel) New Release (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

(ARCHIVED) Debian Jessie Images (3.10.102 BSP Kernel) New Release - lenny.raposo-pine64.pro - 03-30-2016

Debian Jessie Base & Mate Images June 30th 2016 Are Up

I have built a new Desktop based image and Headless image for the Pine A64 and A64+ Models (512Mb, 1Gb and 2Gb). These works are based on longsleep's kernel/uboot build and come with his scripts for providing future updates to uboot, kernel and future fixes (such as PulseAudio).

The Headless release (base) is without a desktop UI.

The Desktop release comes packed with the following:

Mate Desktop Environment
Bluetooth Enabled
Hardware Video Decode (VDPau)
FBTurbo Xorg Package
Sunxi Display Tool (Thanks to longsleep)
Display Resolution Set To 1280x720p60 On Boot
Sound Is Now Fixed (Using PulseAudio Instead Of ALSA Only)

Latest longsleep Kernel (3.10.102)
Kodi 16.X (Works In Windowed Mode View Screenshots Below)
LibreOffice
Midori & Firefox
The GIMP & Inkscape
and more...

To Download visit

This time around the username and password has changed

Username: debian
Password: debian

Don't forget to resize your rootfs with resize_rootfs.sh on first boot.

As always feedback is welcome

Tutorial And Resource Site Is Up

As I have mentioned before I have been working away on a Tutorial/Resource site for the community and I am glad to say it is up but not entirely completed.

I have a few tutorials in the works (screenshots and all) that are undergoing the editing process not to mention some of the site mechanics that are in the works. Thus far I have documents and every image available for download from my servers and some news items (Backerkit news) posted already.

The intention of this site is to share information and provide resources in a more refined manner and not to take away from the Forum or Wiki. Anything and Everything that goes up on the Tutorial/Resource site will be duplicated and added to the Official Pine64 Wiki and/or Forum where ever applicable.

Furthermore, as this is a community effort, myself and a select group of individuals will be taking in any tutorials, OS images, software and useful information from those of you who wish to add to the knowledge base for the Pine64.

Please note that this is not an Official Pine64 site, but I will be providing a level of access to the Pine64 Team in hopes of doubling our efforts in building a large and prosperous community. Think of it as Debian/Ubuntu or Android/Linux kind of relationship.

With that all being said let me introduce you all to

Bug Reports Forum Is Up

Please post any issues to the Linux 3.10.65 BSP Kernel Build Bug Reports forum. Be sure to read the first post before posting.

Thanks everyone Smile

Tutorial/Resource Site Coming To The Web Near You

Just wanted to let everyone know that aside from putting together images and helping folks in the community I am also developing a website for all sorts of Pine64 related news, tutorials, software and showcases.

I hope to have something up by next week Tuesday.

So hang tight and remember if I can help you I will do my best to do so. Also remember to give longsleep, apritzel and umiddelb a high five for their contributions in the Linux ecosphere for the Pine64. I know that without them I would not have been able to put most of this together.

Also thank the Pine guys that actually spend time to interact with the community, it's great to see them take the time to get involved in their current busy schedules.

RE: Debian Image In The Works - umiddelb - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 12:24 AM)lenny.raposo Wrote: Just letting everyone know that a Debian Image is in the works.

This will be based on the 3.10.65 BSP Kernel with updates that have been provided by longsleep's efforts.

I will put together the following:

Base Image With Debian Root FS
LXDE Image
XFCE Image
MATE Image

Stay tuned.

You may have seen the scripts I'm using for an automated Debian setup. Please feel free to comment / modify / extend / file a PR.

@longsleep, @tllim
We might consider setting up a joint deb repository (e.g. https://packagecloud.io) serving PINE64 related additions to stock Debian / Ubuntu installs, e.g.:
- bootloader
- kernel image and modules
- X11 configuration

This would give people the chance to update existing installs instead of re-flashing their uSD.

RE: Debian Image In The Works - tllim - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 01:58 AM)umiddelb Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 12:24 AM)lenny.raposo Wrote: Just letting everyone know that a Debian Image is in the works.

This will be based on the 3.10.65 BSP Kernel with updates that have been provided by longsleep's efforts.

I will put together the following:

Base Image With Debian Root FS
LXDE Image
XFCE Image
MATE Image

Stay tuned.

You may have seen the scripts I'm using for an automated Debian setup. Please feel free to comment / modify / extend / file a PR.

@longsleep, @tllim
We might consider setting up a joint deb repository (e.g. https://packagecloud.io) serving PINE64 related additions to stock Debian / Ubuntu installs, e.g.:
- bootloader
- kernel image and modules
- X11 configuration

This would give people the chance to update existing installs instead of re-flashing their uSD.
 @umiddelb, assume longsleep interest to do so, just tell me which plan that I need to subscribe and I will order. I also assume you will manage and maintain :-) I meet up with Kai (openHAB), he mentioned that you can assist on openHAB build.

RE: Debian Image In The Works - longsleep - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 02:08 AM)tllim Wrote: @umiddelb, assume longsleep interest to do so, just tell me which plan that I need to subscribe and I will order. I also assume you will manage and maintain :-) I meet up with Kai (openHAB), he mentioned that you can assist on openHAB build.

I do not have the time to do packaging for any of the extra Pine64 specific stuff - but i have started a ppa for some stuff already https://launchpad.net/~longsleep/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntu-pine64-flavour-makers - i might be willing to create a team for this on launchpad if people are interested and have the skills to provide good quality packaging without breaking things.

RE: Debian Image In The Works - lenny.raposo-pine64.pro - 04-01-2016

Just an update on the Debian Jessie BSP Images

I have completed a Base Image thus far and have a working Mate DE. I am Currently working on the LXDE and XFCE versions. I am trying to resolve an HDMI audio playback issue. Once that is corrected I will pack things up and post links for downloading Smile

Mate is working nicely thus far with under 300 mb ram consumption. The kernel was compiled by longsleep and also includes his scripts for updating u-boot, kernel image, core keeper and various other goodies.

will report back tomorrow with more info.

RE: Debian Image In The Works - Bargepole - 04-02-2016

I want to stay with Debian Jessie so I look forward to a safe version.

RE: Debian Image In The Works - lenny.raposo-pine64.pro - 04-03-2016

Rootfs options built and read for download. Check first post for details and links

RE: Debian Image In The Works - Ghost - 04-03-2016

(04-03-2016, 02:23 PM)lenny.raposo Wrote: Rootfs options built and read for download. Check first post for details and links

Nice work, Lenny!

RE: Debian Image In The Works - Bargepole - 04-04-2016

(04-03-2016, 07:55 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(04-03-2016, 02:23 PM)lenny.raposo Wrote: Rootfs options built and read for download. Check first post for details and links

Nice work, Lenny!

What can I do with the root file system?

I would just like to know when I can expect a good version of Debian that I can start some tests.
i.e. using Python 3 and C++ to access the IO Ports.

Keep up the good work, and many thanks for making the effort to create the Debian..
This will be very important for the acceptance of the A64.

RE: Debian Image In The Works - lenny.raposo-pine64.pro - 04-04-2016

@Bargepole

The root file system has all the goodies (software) one would expect.

I made 3 rootfs with desktop environments which should run decently on an A64+ 1gb and up. You have your build environment (build essential) already included plus the standard desktop modules.

Python 3 and gcc 4.9 are included in all versions.

The rootfs was built using Debian's official ports repo for Arm64 architecture (more details).

If you use longsleep's simple image (without rootfs) you can simply tar one of the rootfs listed and boot into a Debian environment.