PINE64
SMB client to stream video and audio renderer - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Pine A64 Projects, Ideas and Tutorials (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: SMB client to stream video and audio renderer (/showthread.php?tid=341)

SMB client to stream video and audio renderer - alflopez - 02-21-2016

Hi, I was about to finish the kickstarter survey, but I thought it was a good idea to first ask some stuff in this forum. Here go my requirements:

I want my Pine64 to connect to a HD that is plugged to my Asus  rt-ac68u home router via USB. The router is sharing files on the HD via SMB. It has the option to enable the DLNA server, but that does not seem to be working because I can't see it as a media server on the BubblePnP app for example.
I would like to use my android phone to control the Pine64 and stream video files (mp4, mkv, avi, etc) to my TV via HDMI.

I'd like my Pine64 to draw power from the TV via USB. 
I would like to use WiFi rather than a physical ethernet cable.
Also, I'd like to use my Pine64 to stream audio to an old stereo system via its AUX port (like chromecast audio would do).

Should I just add an enclosure, the wifi module and the 3.5 mm audio jack?
Do I need to include a microSD for them to install android on it or will android be installed in a different media that is included by default?

I will appreciate it if you guys, which are obviously more experienced than I in these matters, validate my idea.
Thanks!

RE: SMB client to stream video and audio renderer - tllim - 02-21-2016

(02-21-2016, 06:07 AM)alflopez Wrote: Hi, I was about to finish the kickstarter survey, but I thought it was a good idea to first ask some stuff in this forum. Here go my requirements:

I want my Pine64 to connect to a HD that is plugged to my Asus  rt-ac68u home router via USB. The router is sharing files on the HD via SMB. It has the option to enable the DLNA server, but that does not seem to be working because I can't see it as a media server on the BubblePnP app for example.
I would like to use my android phone to control the Pine64 and stream video files (mp4, mkv, avi, etc) to my TV via HDMI.

I'd like my Pine64 to draw power from the TV via USB. 
I would like to use WiFi rather than a physical ethernet cable.
Also, I'd like to use my Pine64 to stream audio to an old stereo system via its AUX port (like chromecast audio would do).

Should I just add an enclosure, the wifi module and the 3.5 mm audio jack?
Do I need to include a microSD for them to install android on it or will android be installed in a different media that is included by default?

I will appreciate it if you guys, which are obviously more experienced than I in these matters, validate my idea.
Thanks!

1. Draw power from your TV to power Pine A6r board is not advisable due to your TV USB port may not supply enough power.
2. You need to include microSD card with Android build.

RE: SMB client to stream video and audio renderer - alflopez - 02-26-2016

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a followup:
- How much power would my TV need to supply to be precise?
- If I don't include the microSD will it be difficult to load the Android build myself?

Thanks.

RE: SMB client to stream video and audio renderer - Ghost - 02-26-2016

(02-26-2016, 09:51 AM)alflopez Wrote: Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a followup:
- If I don't include the microSD will it be difficult to load the Android build myself?

Thanks.

You need around 2 amps of current at 5 volts to supply the Pine with the power it needs.

As for loading up the micro sd card with the Android OS, it is a straightforward matter of formatting the card, downloading the Android image, and then copying the image onto the card using the PhoenixCard software: (http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PhoenixCard)

RE: SMB client to stream video and audio renderer - taros - 02-26-2016

(02-26-2016, 09:51 AM)alflopez Wrote: Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a followup:

Some TVs have extra USB ports, and you may have one marked "HDD IN" (LG TVs).
If you have such a dedicated USB port, it might provide 2A.

RE: SMB client to stream video and audio renderer - scnd - 03-28-2016

I'm going to be doing something like this too. I'll be using the pine as a nas head with some usb hard drives. I'll most likely be running arch as my main. I have a raspberry pi 2 that's doing the job now, and it might be better if i move that off to be my main development computer for the office.

I have a raspi zero that's coming in soon, which'll be my front-end streamer on my tv and occasional snes emulation box.

The addition will move me out of chroot/android territory while i'm learning linux and programming, and into something that's more representative of a real computer.