PINE64
Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting Started (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute (/showthread.php?tid=3208)

Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - temcocontrols - 02-01-2017

Am interested to hear from anyone that has checked into the Sopine and just how compatible it is with the Raspberry Pi Compute 3 module. I have a product lined up to use the Pi compute but the Sopine looks interesting.

RE: Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - tllim - 02-01-2017

(02-01-2017, 07:06 PM)temcocontrols Wrote: Am interested to hear from anyone that has checked into the Sopine and just how compatible it is with the Raspberry Pi Compute 3 module. I have a product lined up to use the Pi compute but the Sopine looks interesting.

We have look into the RPi CM3 compatible possibility but prefer not to so do. Below are the few consideration:

1. SoPine use PMU (Power Management Unit) on board and CM lacking such design

2. For GbE, the RGMII is needed and CM doesn't has such setup

3. Prefer the power and ground follows SoDimm pin layout so that if accidently plug SoPine in actual SoDimm board or vice versa, for sure the system will not work and minimum damage harm.

4. SoPine need more pins for IO and prefer SoDIMM DDR3 due to more pins.

RE: Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - mbt28 - 02-02-2017

No, It doesnt have a meaning. As far as I know sopine uses ddr3 socket cm ddr2.

However, designing a custom board should be relatively easier with sopine, if I would change one thing I would also put touch, DSI and CSI on module too. This could decrease pin number significantly.

RE: Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - MarkHaysHarris777 - 02-02-2017

(02-02-2017, 03:19 AM)mbt28 Wrote: No, It doesnt have a meaning. As far as I know sopine uses ddr3 socket cm ddr2.

However, designing a custom board should be relatively easier with sopine, if I would change one thing I would also put touch, DSI and CSI on module too. This could decrease pin number significantly.

There is not really enough room for that on the sopine card itself.  Its really packed with the three main chips and the SD card ...

RE: Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - temcocontrols - 02-02-2017

TLLM: Agreed, there's many trade-offs with trying to maintain compatibility but there'd be a lot of advantages as well.... just sayin. I will purchase some Sopine modules and see where things lead, we're working on an open source building automation system. I am looking forward to learning and getting involved with the Pine group. 

Here's a link to the project in case anyone's interested: 
https://github.com/temcocontrols/RasberryPiBacnetController

RE: Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - mbt28 - 02-06-2017

(02-02-2017, 10:27 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 03:19 AM)mbt28 Wrote: No, It doesnt have a meaning. As far as I know sopine uses ddr3 socket cm ddr2.

There is not really enough room for that on the sopine card itself.  Its really packed with the three main chips and the SD card ...

Would it be possible to make bigger module with same cost included with dsi csi pins on board. Because especially these ports uses so many ports and probably requires more layers. However SD card uses less pins and it could be better if we could have sd pinout on module.

RE: Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - tllim - 02-12-2017

(02-06-2017, 05:35 AM)mbt28 Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 10:27 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Would it be possible to make bigger module with same cost included with dsi csi pins on board. Because especially these ports uses so many ports and probably requires more layers. However SD card uses less pins and it could be better if we could have sd pinout on module.
SoPine is a 8 layer board.

RE: Sopine compatibility with Pi Compute - tllim - 02-12-2017

(02-02-2017, 07:39 PM)temcocontrols Wrote: TLLM: Agreed, there's many trade-offs with trying to maintain compatibility but there'd be a lot of advantages as well.... just sayin. I will purchase some Sopine modules and see where things lead, we're working on an open source building automation system. I am looking forward to learning and getting involved with the Pine group. 

Here's a link to the project in case anyone's interested: 
https://github.com/temcocontrols/RasberryPiBacnetController

Thanks, lets collaborated together.