PINE64
Why no USB-Debugging possible??? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Android on Pine A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Why no USB-Debugging possible??? (/showthread.php?tid=2269)

Why no USB-Debugging possible??? - tommypine - 09-24-2016

I need USB-Debugging. It's enabled in Developer Options but the damned Pine isn't even recognized by my Win7 Computer as an USB-Device. Dodgy  None of the two USB-Ports are recognized. I need to debug a Webradio App i did. It works on every Smartphone, but on the Pine it always shows Error MEDIA_ERROR_UNKNOWN when it trys to open the Stream. Why is this Issue not fixed???

RE: Why no USB-Debugging possible??? - tampadave - 09-24-2016

Just as a general thing, the things that do not work yet are uncountable.  The only things that do work, are those things important enough that someone has actually designed, tested and released back into the community.

This is green kit.  That's what's so awesome for folks like us.  We get to design, build, test and release.  Rinse and repeat.

I'm currently working on the desire to connect via a usb cable, the pine64s to a GNU/Linux host, and have full OpenSSH facilities.  Why?  Because we have, at this point, lots of "doa" labeled product out here that is not doa, but hdcp'd due to hdmi's crap hdcp evil.

A usb plug and play OpenSSH stack is extremely valuable in fixing this problem.  First, showing that the board is not doa, second, being able to access it headlessly with nothing more than a usb cable, which is accessable to noobs, third, high speed, network savvy, secure scp let's us image file systems without the trouble of sneaker netting the microsd cards or needing console on the pine64 board.

If "USB-debugging" is important enough, look into it, and fix it.  We'll help.  There are so many blind assumptions in your query, I see that you're about to learn a whole lot of stuff, red pill stuff, should you choose to accept this assignment.  That's not criticism, it is information.  Learn it and you'll do well.  Don't and you won't.

And use a computer.  That means GNU/Linux.  M$ kit sucks.  Always has, always will.  It is built that way on purpose.  It is.  By design.  Get GNU/Linux and you'll see.

David

RE: Why no USB-Debugging possible??? - pfeerick - 09-24-2016

(09-24-2016, 09:12 AM)tampadave Wrote: I'm currently working on the desire to connect via a usb cable, the pine64s to a GNU/Linux host, and have full OpenSSH facilities.  Why?  Because we have, at this point, lots of "doa" labeled product out here that is not doa, but hdcp'd due to hdmi's crap hdcp evil.

Do you mean this sort of thing David? You can then plug the USB cable in, and get full access to the pine64 via the serial console. It's always possible to make up something like this thing I did with a bit of scrap perfboard, or just plug the USB-to-serial adapter into the correct three pins on the expansion header, but nothing beats a ready to use use module when dealing with newbies. 

As far as USB debug not working, it might be helpful if you start by saying which version of Android you're running on the pine64! Are you using 5.1.1 or the newer 7.0 build? If it's 7.0, if you get ayufan's attention here on the forum, you may get some developer support. Otherwise, if it is indeed 7.0 you're running, you could open an issue on the github issue tracker. But you will need to be patient, because as David indicated, whilst there are a lot of things working for the pine64, there is a longer or nearly as long list of things that aren't. However, I don't think that is the case for Android... it is probably the most feature-complete OS for the pine64, especially on the video playback front! Wink Even so, most of the development that is happening is community driven, and people only have so much 'spare time' to work on this!

RE: Why no USB-Debugging possible??? - tommypine - 09-27-2016

Resolved, got debugging over WIFI to work. Can live with that. Sorry for asking such a silly question, but nearly every Android Device supports USB-Debugging.
offTopicStart
@tampadave Great help to tell that i should fix it by myself. "And use a computer.  That means GNU/Linux." Tongue  Yesss Sir, sure, thank's for your valuable advice. By the way, i like to develop App's, not fix Pine-Boards operating system. I leave this to the Guys that make big money to sell them.
offTopicEnd

RE: Why no USB-Debugging possible??? - pfeerick - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 03:39 AM)tommypine Wrote: Resolved, got debugging over WIFI to work. Can live with that. Sorry for asking such a silly question, but nearly every Android Device supports USB-Debugging.

It's not a silly question, especially if the USB debugging ISN'T working! Wink Glad to hear you got what you wanted with debugging over wifi (as I'm not into Android development, I presume that is an official method of debugging still?)