PINE64
Ubuntu not working for me - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Ubuntu (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Thread: Ubuntu not working for me (/showthread.php?tid=2235)

Ubuntu not working for me - Macs1337 - 09-18-2016

[Image: QDyQiQp.jpg]
This is the last thing my pine write before shut down and turn off.
Can someone help me what is the problem? ):

RE: Ubuntu not working for me - tkaiser - 09-18-2016

Most probably reason N°3: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=514

RE: Ubuntu not working for me - Macs1337 - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 06:22 AM)tkaiser Wrote: Most probably reason N°3: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=514

Thanks! It worked!

But now writing this and stopped booting:
[Image: V8AjrvJ.jpg]

I'm not sure if I understand? You improved your power supply situation slightly and now the power management IC doesn't do an emergency power-off due to undervoltage but the kernel simply freezes a few seconds later?

When you want to reliably power a device through Micro USB you either need a short USB cable with low resistance (almost non-existing on this earth) or an adapter from good PSUs to crappy connectors:

[Image: post-7-0-53795200-1474185389.jpg]

Alternatively (red is 5V, black is GND):

[Image: Pine64_Powered_through_Euler_Connector.jpg]

And this here explains why USB cables suck: http://goughlui.com/2014/10/01/usb-cable-resistance-why-your-phonetablet-might-be-charging-slow/

(09-18-2016, 07:03 AM)tkaiser Wrote: I'm not sure if I understand? You improved your power supply situation slightly and now the power management IC doesn't do an emergency power-off due to undervoltage but the kernel simply freezes a few seconds later?

When you want to reliably power a device through Micro USB you either need a short USB cable with low resistance (almost non-existing on this earth) or an adapter from good PSUs to crappy connectors:

[Image: post-7-0-53795200-1474185389.jpg]

Alternatively (red is 5V, black is GND):

[Image: Pine64_Powered_through_Euler_Connector.jpg]

And this here explains why USB cables suck: http://goughlui.com/2014/10/01/usb-cable-resistance-why-your-phonetablet-might-be-charging-slow/

That's exactly what happened.

(09-18-2016, 07:07 AM)Macs1337 Wrote: That's exactly what happened.

Well, there is no software fix for undervoltage. Use the Euler pins, an adapter or a really good Micro USB cable with a good and stable PSU providing clean 5.1V. Everything else is a waste of time since an inapproriate power supply is reason N°1 for all sorts of strange symptoms.

Out of curiosity: In case you would give the Armbian Xenial legacy image a try does it boot up to the login prompt (see my signature -- also Ubuntu but with slightly different settings -- we use the so called interactive cpufreq governor in boot stage and not performance which might help in such situations). But even if this works continuing with such a power setup is not recommended. Hardware has to be fixed first Smile

BTW: If your nick indicates you're a Mac user: Most recent Apple computers (from 2012 or younger, MacPro starting with the iTrash model) provide pretty stable 5V at least on one USB3 port (limited to 900mA 'by specs' but on 3 devices I tested with I was able to suck out slightly more than 1100 mA) so when you've a short USB cable around using an Apple as PSU is a good idea as long as you don't connect many peripherals to the Pine64 at the same time.

(09-18-2016, 07:27 AM)tkaiser Wrote:

Well, there is no software fix for undervoltage. Use the Euler pins, an adapter or a really good Micro USB cable with a good and stable PSU providing clean 5.1V. Everything else is a waste of time since an inapproriate power supply is reason N°1 for all sorts of strange symptoms.

Out of curiosity: In case you would give the Armbian Xenial legacy image a try does it boot up to the login prompt (see my signature -- also Ubuntu but with slightly different settings -- we use the so called interactive cpufreq governor in boot stage and not performance which might help in such situations). But even if this works continuing with such a power setup is not recommended. Hardware has to be fixed first Smile

BTW: If your nick indicates you're a Mac user: Most recent Apple computers (from 2012 or younger, MacPro starting with the iTrash model) provide pretty stable 5V at least on one USB3 port (limited to 900mA 'by specs' but on 3 devices I tested with I was able to suck out slightly more than 1100 mA) so when you've a short USB cable around using an Apple as PSU is a good idea as long as you don't connect many peripherals to the Pine64 at the same time.

Funny thing is that I use the same usb cable and adapter which I used to run this system 2 months ago and now it fails to boot. I do not know what to do with this error. (:

No I am not a Mac user (Macs = cat in Hungary)

RE: Ubuntu not working for me - pfeerick - 09-18-2016

Interesting... did you by any chance run the uboot / kernel update scripts or run an apt-get update just before this happened? The error at the end of the second screenshot is the same one mentioned here, and no resolution was found. longsleep stated that that error should not prevent the system from booting, and others suspected file system corruption - probably resulting from undervoltage power supply / cabling. As to why it is happening now... random chance... as if it is marginal... it's just a matter of when something goes wrong, not if!

I was going to suggest that maybe you have the pine64 configured to use the ethernet using the default settings, and the ethernet is blocking startup as the cable isn't plugged in, but I see what looks like an ethernet cable in the picture, so maybe not?

(09-18-2016, 11:59 AM)Macs1337 Wrote:
(09-18-2016, 07:27 AM)tkaiser Wrote:

Funny thing is that I use the same usb cable and adapter which I used to run this system 2 months ago and now it fails to boot. I do not know what to do with this error. (:

No I am not a Mac user (Macs = cat in Hungary)

(09-18-2016, 06:08 PM)pfeerick Wrote: The error at the end of the second screenshot is

absolutely irrelevant if booting stops at this stage. The sunxi video driver is nothing that could prevent booting. It's just one of the many powering problems and not related to software at all (maybe indirectly, when using the wrong OS images frequent crashes can ruin the SD card's filesystem and then even improving powering might not help since a corrupted FS could mean corrupted software which might then crash by itself).

If a Pine64 just powers off at booting (first post) no further questions are necessary. Improve powering of the board, everything else is just a waste of time.