PINE64
Packet loss on lan port - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Pine A64 Hardware, Accessories and POT (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Packet loss on lan port (/showthread.php?tid=2157)

Packet loss on lan port - Hiren - 09-06-2016

I have a pine64 + 2G that pulls ~20% packet loss regardless of the OS.  This makes it impossible to run updates or even browse the web. Its sister board that I revived at the same time works perfectly with the same SD cards inserted.  Is there something I can do to fix this?

RE: Packet loss on lan port - MarkHaysHarris777 - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 03:50 AM)Hiren Wrote: I have a pine64 + 2G that pulls ~20% packet loss regardless of the OS.  This makes it impossible to run updates or even browse the web. Its sister board that I revived at the same time works perfectly with the same SD cards inserted.  Is there something I can do to fix this?

That depends, please post your setup info...  ethernet (y/n) gigabit switch (y/n) 

If your boards are plugged into a GbE switch, then force the board that isn't working into 100mb/s.

You can do that by using the ethtool, or modifying your eth cable. Otherwise, you may have a defective board.

RE: Packet loss on lan port - Hiren - 09-06-2016

Mark,

Its been tested across two boards. In multiple setups.

Gigabit Switch and 10/100 switch. cat 5, cat5e, as well as cat 6.

I have tested each setup with my working board by swapping cables and SD card so the entire setup is similar minus the few inches for physical separation.

RE: Packet loss on lan port - MarkHaysHarris777 - 09-06-2016

You can force 10/100 for the board that does not work, with the gigabit switch, by doing one of two things:

1) sudo ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex full

2) modify your eth cable by cutting (and removing) the blue and brown pairs, which creates a four wire 2 pair cable (green and orange 1 2 3 & 6) which will fall into 100mb/s by default; what people around here are calling the 'hackafix'. (I think that is funny)

I doubt seriously that your board is dropping packets on the 10/100 switch; not getting those reports from anyone else. You may have a seriously defective board. Obviously there is a soldering problem on these boards, and obviously many gigabit boards are not functioning anywhere near 1000mb/s. Your board may be even worse; although, I have not seen that yet (yours would be the first reported).

RE: Packet loss on lan port - Hiren - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 07:50 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: 1) sudo ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex full
 It looks like this got it.

I thought I had tried this before I emailed support 3 month ago then shelved the unit.  Looks like ill be able to start building my playbox enclosure this evening.  I'll just have to remember this in the event I ever decide to take it off wireless.

Thank you so much.

Cheers!