PINE64
Change the forum's software to Discourse - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Thread: Change the forum's software to Discourse (/showthread.php?tid=17810)

Pages: 1 2

Change the forum's software to Discourse - Liz_34 - 01-12-2023

Change the forum's software from the current one to Discourse. I think it would be much more efficient to use.

Discourse's website:
https://www.discourse.org/

Also check:
https://news.itsfoss.com/discourse-3-0-release/

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - Cs137 - 01-20-2023

I highly agree, it is not only the forum but also the way how the different chat channels are merged. I try to use the matrix rooms, but the way how it is organised gives the impression it should keep users away and not attract them, which is sad.

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - Kevin Kofler - 01-20-2023

I disagree. I think classic forum software such as this one is much friendlier than Discourse with its high reliance on JavaScript/AJAX, its extreme hand-holding features targeting users who have never used a web forum before (which is particularly annoying when you sign up for more than one Discourse forum and have to go through all those "gamified" "achievements" all over again and again), and its idea of "user-friendliness" such as the use of vague relative times instead of precise timestamps.

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - KC9UDX - 01-20-2023

I strongly disagree. This just works. And I can use this site in Links, which is sorta important for someone using the kind of operating systems discussed here, in my opinion.

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - linmob - 01-21-2023

Discourse or not, I would certainly use a mobile-friendly forums website a lot more, and I would love to follow some discussions/new threads in a section via RSS/Atom feed.
Discourse allows for both, but there may be other ways to address these issues.

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - user641 - 01-21-2023

This actual version works great without JS. Don't change it!

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - Cs137 - 01-21-2023

I ...
  • need to wait for 3-5s after each search before its result is presented
  • am unable to access my profile,
  • am unable to get a list with posts I posted.

This is not user-friendly at all. I hope items 2-3 settle after being registered for more than 2 days, but assume the first one will remain, which is a no-go in my opinion (and considering that we are in 2023).

I get your points regarding js and permanent links and agree to it, but one should also try to attract users and not shock them, my perception is the latter.

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - Kevin Kofler - 01-21-2023

Discourse searches are not necessarily faster, they just show a fancy JavaScript loading animation instead of the interstitial so it looks faster.

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - user641 - 01-21-2023

(01-21-2023, 06:54 AM)Cs137 Wrote: I ...

This is not user-friendly at all. I hope items 2-3 settle after being registered for more than 2 days, but assume the first one will remain, which is a no-go in my opinion (and considering that we are in 2023).

I get your points regarding js and permanent links and agree to it, but one should also try to attract users and not shock them, my perception is the latter.

Waiting 3-5s is not a problem, we can always lower our time preference. What browser and OS are you using, if you can share those info please do.

RE: Change the forum's software to Discourse - Cs137 - 01-21-2023

(01-21-2023, 11:22 AM)user641 Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 06:54 AM)Cs137 Wrote: I ...

Waiting 3-5s is not a problem, we can always lower our time preference. What browser and OS are you using, if you can share those info please do.

I am using an arch system and librewolf as browser. A kind of float thing presents the following while I wait for the result:
Quote:Thank you, your search has been submitted and you will now be taken to the results list.

However, we are getting off topic considering the threads' title. The point I wanted to make: I do not care which software operates this forum, but I would appreciate if it would be more user friendly.

Laugh about it and see it as the opinion of someone on the internet who just entered your community, which is fine. But probably thinking about it would be even better since all of you were once in that situation and maybe there are more users who would like to interact but consider the options as not optimal. My aim is not to turn your place upside down, but allowing "new users" to enter your place.