PINE64
Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+--- Thread: Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? (/showthread.php?tid=17483)

Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? - alpineduck - 10-18-2022

Hello,

I recently got myself a PinePhone and intend to use it as my everyday phone.

I learnt there is an alternative, open-source firmware available for the Quectel modem.
Are there any downsides of using it instead of the original firmware?

I read a lot about its benefits (improved security, lower operating temperature, etc.) but nothing about possible issues with it.
Is there something which is known to work better with the original firmware orĀ am I basically loosing nothing by ditching it?

Thank you!

RE: Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? - dante404 - 10-20-2022

Yes, that would be interesting to know - I recently stumbled about the same question...
Stability/Reliability is king for me, lower temperature and stuff is gread, but only if stability/reliability is at least on the same level as with the stock firmware. Smile

RE: Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? - CharlieGordon - 10-20-2022

(10-18-2022, 09:26 AM)alpineduck Wrote: Are there any downsides of using it instead of the original firmware?

I'm no expert, but I remember reading that using the free firmware would probably be illegal in most countries. Something about being able to change your hardware identification.

RE: Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? - alaraajavamma - 10-21-2022

(10-20-2022, 12:17 PM)CharlieGordon Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 09:26 AM)alpineduck Wrote: Are there any downsides of using it instead of the original firmware?

I'm no expert, but I remember reading that using the free firmware would probably be illegal in most countries. Something about being able to change your hardware identification.

I don't claim to be 100% right, but I'm pretty sure of the below - please correct me if someone knows better Big Grin

Biktorgjs modem it not replacing the actual "modem black box" thing which is that "secret" and legally controlled technology. ADSP is still the same as in stock firmware and ADSP is the part which does the actual work of the modem, i.e. makes a connection to cell towers etc.

Biktorgjs modem replaces the userspace so it gives more control between the modem and the phone's own user interface.
I have several pinephos in daily use. I'm not a developer, but I'm an active tester and I can't figure out a single thing what was better in stock firmware.

But because worldwide carriers work differently, your experiences may be different from mine (even though I have tried with three different carriers)

RE: Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? - Zebulon Walton - 10-25-2022

(10-20-2022, 12:17 PM)CharlieGordon Wrote: I'm no expert, but I remember reading that using the free firmware would probably be illegal in most countries. Something about being able to change your hardware identification.

If you're talking about the IMEI identification string, that can be can be changed in the stock firmware. It's been discussed on the board a fair amount if you search for it.

I've been wondering about the open source firmware as well, but the stock "002" firmware has been working well enough that I have not been motivated to try changing it.