PINE64
PP Keyboard question - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+--- Thread: PP Keyboard question (/showthread.php?tid=16983)

PP Keyboard question - drh - 07-09-2022

Hi All,

The battery on my PP keyboard is recognized by Mobian as a power source in Settings --> Power on my PP (not pro edition); however, there five (5) power sources are listed, which are: unlabeled (Discharging), Main (0%), Extra (0%), Extra (0%), Extra (70%).

The button on the right side of the keyboard does not activate/deactivate charging status. Does not work when I do a double press or a long press.

Note: I can use the keyboard for typing.

I have never used the usb-c port on the PP to charge the PP while it was in the PP keyboard, so this isn't the cause. I wonder if a possible cause is a software update (I use mobian).

The PP keyboard battery did charge the PP battery when I first received it, but stopped recently, which is when I noticed it not working. I don't know when this issue first began because I only plug in the keyboard for testing progress of optimizing the operating system power consumption/compatibility with the PP keyboard. When the PP keyboard battery was working with PP, the PP keyboard battery increased the duration of use of the PP by about 50%, hoped it would be more.

Wondering if others have experienced similar issue.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Stay well.

RE: PP Keyboard question - zetabeta - 07-09-2022

i noticed that different os's show battery indicator differently and also charging. my guess is, it's a bug in a software.

this console program gives some info.
Code:
$ upower -d

at least i noticed that if screen is on, then keyboard barely charges the pinephone.

RE: PP Keyboard question - drh - 07-09-2022

Thanks zetabeta! That's helpful.

RE: PP Keyboard question - grump_fiddle_reinstall - 07-24-2022

I have similar symptoms under mobian right now. When the PP is connected to the keyboard Main never shows more than 24% no matter how long it charges and even if the PP is turned off when charging. If I charge the PP when removed from the keyboard case it charges to 100% but only shows max 24% when it is put back in the keyboard case.

The case battery gives a reading between 94 and 97% but does not appear to charge the phone battery.

So, have the keyboard drivers been borked again, creating charging issues or are 1st batch keyboards starting to slowly die?

(07-09-2022, 09:04 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i noticed that different os's show battery indicator differently and also charging. my guess is, it's a bug in a software.

this console program gives some info.
Code:
$ upower -d

at least i noticed that if screen is on, then keyboard barely charges the pinephone.

Thanks. I will try running that later with my PP in the keyboard case.

RE: PP Keyboard question - grump_fiddle_reinstall - 09-02-2023

In my case replacing the circuit board in the keyboard fixed the charging problems.

However it never shows more than 66% with the Main and Extra batteries charged to 100% each. I assume the other 33% is assigned to the phantom battery which is not present. Also it appears that the "Extra" battery is the phone battery while the "Main" battery is the one in the keyboard.