PINE64
Was 4K a Lie? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Android on Pine A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Was 4K a Lie? (/showthread.php?tid=1692)

Pages: 1 2

Was 4K a Lie? - kikootwo - 07-08-2016

Hello!

I am running the latest android build on a few different boards. There seems to be no option anywhere to elevate the resolution to 4k. In promotional videos it showed the pine 64 displaying at a gorgeous 4k in android. Was this false advertising? If not, how can I output 4k from my pine64+ on android?

Thanks in advance!

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - lenny.raposo-pine64.pro - 07-08-2016

4k Development is under way hence why the Android and Remix Images are Marked as beta at this point.

The SoC is capable of 4k but like with all new things it's a matter of getting it to a functional fined tuned state to unlock the full use of the device.

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - MarkHaysHarris777 - 07-08-2016

No one has lied to you.

... there is a nuance between potential realization on the one hand, and state-of-the-art final product on the other. Is the hardware capable of 4k, yes... is the hardware, your monitor of choice, and the current state of software|drivers capable of realizing 4k (maybe not).

That's not a lie... these are still development boards and the software is still catching up with the hardware. Folks are a little frustrated right now because the PineA64 is not the plug&play appliance they thought it was going to be... you know... a three thousand dollare media center for $15 bucks !/. Sometimes I wonder how people assign their expectations.

I invested in a fabulous SBC for $29 via kickstarter... I had NO expectations... my board arrived and I began experimenting... its been a blast and I've learned alot ( and the community has been a joy to get to know , and I'm including tllim! ). The on-line help has been fantastic, the software and hardware expertise I've experienced here is exemplary, and this little SBC is really phenomenal , honestly , top rate... but, its not an appliance yet... and its still under development ( and I'm helping with that ). I'm inviting you to join us.

Be willing to beta test. Get involved with suggestions, or be willing to try new ideas that aren't fully ironed out. Keep the faith, its going to be a great ride... and... eventually, you will see 4K on that Android image of yours...

marcus

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - lenny.raposo-pine64.pro - 07-08-2016

Well said mate Big Grin

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - dkryder - 07-09-2016

"The Pine A64 board can also play ultra high definition 4Kx2K video."

that is a quote from the FAQ as of right now. I suppose it is a matter of interpretation as to what it means. Some might say, well, no , it can not play 4kx2k video so it is a misrepresentation of the facts and false advertising. others might say well perhaps it can at some point in time, maybe, it should be able to under the right circumstances. others might say, it can play 4k, it just can not play 4k right now. so it is not false at all.

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - yusijs - 07-09-2016

It can play 4k vids right now, but it's not capable of outputting 4k via the hdmi. Basically you can play 4k vids on a 1080p display. Not a lie, although maybe a bit shady Smile

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - MrWizerd - 07-13-2016

Again, this is not a lie, nor misrepresentation, or shady. The Hardware you were sold is perfectly capable of playing 4k video, at 4k resolutions to a 4k screen. The software that you were NOT sold, that runs on the boards, has not gotten to that functionality level. The board was sold to you as capable, this is not a lie. The software that google has provided you for FREE is also capable. You are more than welcome to write the functionality into the FREE opensource software that is not SOLD to you by the company that created the pine64 development board, that you backed/ordered, and then you will get the functionality you desire. Has someone else done this work for you yet? No. Is this "shady, a lie, or misrepresentation? Absolutely not! You were sold a development board, that is what they call beta hardware in the hardware world, They told you the boards capability and what operating systems it could run. None of this was false advertisement its just the ins and outs of dev boards.

If you want to sit around and wait to have someone else polish one or more of the different operating systems you wish to run, with the functionality you wish to have, please quietly be patient. If you want to help and contribute but do not know how to code, then beta test the software on this development board, and put in bug reports to assist those who are working on what YOU want, AND THEN providing it to the community with NO REQUEST FOR COMPENSATION! That is one of the biggest things I don't think all these complainers understand, these operating systems are mostly being worked on by people at there homes in there spare time, NOT as a job. Yes I believe that Android is being worked on by the company that created the Pine64, but they are also getting help from normal Joes that are doing it for free in there free time.

I don't understand why people do not understand this, I did when I first looked at the Kickstarter, I was 100% aware of what I was getting into, up to and including NOTHING, that is absolutely nothing, this whole campaign could have flopped and my money would have vaporized and I was aware of that. Instead I received a pretty well polished development board faster than any other Kickstart campaign reward, from any other campaign I have EVER been a part of. I have gone on to back a similar intel x86 based board with equal expectations, though I backed that one to the tune of 650 dollars, and ALL that money can equally disappear with nothing to show for it. That is the nature of Kickstarter, that said, they have delivered the hardware. Please give them time to deliver the particular flavor of the android software you wish to run. Understand that it is not all on them either, part of the problem was with allwinner and there not publishing there code as they were legally responsible to do. Not to the people at Pine, but to the whole world at large. Understand that in these development boards that there will be delays and bugs, and THATS JUST in the hardware, they are also working on the software to run on it, and that is a huge undertaking. People compare this stuff to the RaspberryPi and they don't realize that in the beginning of the Pi, they had these similar issues, and the reason there are so many polished software applications for it is because the people who bought them wrote them. Not because the people at RaspberryPi association or whatever worked tooth and nail to deliver software for the board for every flavor of whatever software that people wanted. It's first off not feasible. Microsoft for instance writes OS software for PC computers, while they do have some hardware they develop you don't see a lot of intel or amd owned operating systems do you?

Simply put, be patient your asking for the moon and you may not realize it because you may not understand the nature of development boards or beta programs.

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - dkryder - 07-13-2016

another interesting thing is that i have not been able to find, on the pine64 website, one reference made by the pine64 company that the pine64 sbc boards are "beta" and/or a "development" in nature. those 2 words are just not used in the website descriptions of the sbc's. there is a reference to the POT PMVRB01 as a "development board" in a description listing on the online shop. i have not had a chance to read the wiki extensively , yet. so it appears there just is not much effort by pine64 to portray the boards in that manner. of course, the boards were at one point in the creation cycle beta/developmental in nature but it seems that pine64 considers them past that point at this time and more of a mature product.

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - lenny.raposo-pine64.pro - 07-13-2016

If you look at the Raspberry Pi it was the same thing. They did take awhile to get to where they are now (things got interesting with Pi2 and more solidified).

If you do look at the software releases regarding the Pine64 you will notice that they mark them as Beta at this point. Eventually everything will become stable.

On The Linux side with the BSP kernel we are missing 3D acceleration but everything else is pretty stable (these things run great as web servers and light desktop systems but when 3D Acceleration lands it will be great as media center OS too).

Remix OS needs a little time to iron out a few bugs and some optimization (build iin more out of the box drivers support for various usb peripherals and fix the slow ethernet bug which has been identified and fixed on the Linux side of things and can be used for Remix Development).

Android has seen great improvement since the beginning (we have had 5 versions thus far and we are currently on version 6 also known as Beta 2).

These bugs will be ironed out soon enough it's just a matter of having a little patience. Read up on Pi history and you will see that the Pine is progressing/maturing at quite an impressive pace.

RE: Was 4K a Lie? - MrWizerd - 07-13-2016

That's because the hardware is essentially at the point that it's usable. Just don't think you get it, do you complain to Intel about there chip not out putting 4k? Duo you complain to Asus that there board doesn't come with Windows fully installed and ready to go? Do you complain that an arduino isn't plug and play compatible with an i2c anything? No, no you don't, because it isn't there job to do any of that. Don't you get it? Pine sold you a single board computer capable of doing xyz, and it is. If your incapable off getting it to do xyz, then be patient and wait and leech of the community, honestly we don't mind for the most part, that is until you complain that someone is not doing it for you fast enough.

I just don't get what part of this you don't understand. Your not a person who calls Dell because there internet ready laptop can't get on the internet, so the "technician" had to explain you need an ISP, AND that Dell doesn't supply it for you, right? If you buy a raspberry pi, and install ChromeOS do you complain to the raspberry pi foundation it doesn't do done thing the pi does? No, because they aren't the purple responsible for porting chrome os to the pi. I don't understand what you don't get.... You were sold hardware, your hardware has capabilities... You can access them yourself write the code....

Furthermore, SBC's are fundamentally development boards, they haven't been around all that long and any first generation anything is fundamentally in development, heck windows 8 was one big beta AND so was ME and the kicker is Microsoft has basically admitted to it. But you don't call Microsoft to upgrade your computer. You don't call the company that made your computer, our companies if by chance you built it yourself to upgrade Windows. These things are simply NOT one in the same, even if you use Apple products, you don't complain to the software department about hardware and vise versa.

The only place I will agree that pine exaggerated a bit is when they called it a 15 dollar super computer. My assumption here is they were pointing out that they can be setup in an array BUT the array would need more than one to be a super competing cluster and thus more than 15 dollars.

If you don't understand hardware vs. Software after all this I can't explain it.... If you don't understand how claims of the hardwares ability, doesn't mean they lie when you don't have the software to utilize the hardware. Chances are there is a version of Android in there office that works at 4k but isn't stable so instead of putting out a copy of Android that would be buggy they have held back. They are offering you a ported version of Android that functions, no where when I purchased my pine or the other pines after that did it day anywhere they were giving me software to make the pine do ANYTHING. They simply sold me a piece of hardware, I then installed software and utilized the hardware. It isn't more pain then that, it's just not.

(07-13-2016, 03:01 AM)lenny.raposo-pine64.pro Wrote: If you look at the Raspberry Pi it was the same thing. They did take  awhile to get to where they are now (things got interesting with Pi2 and more solidified).

If you do look at the software releases regarding the Pine64 you will notice that they mark them as Beta at this point. Eventually everything will become stable.

On The Linux side with the BSP kernel we are missing 3D acceleration but everything else is pretty stable (these things run great as web servers and light desktop systems but when 3D Acceleration lands it will be great as media center OS too).

Remix OS needs a little time to iron out a few bugs and some optimization (build iin more out of the box drivers support for various usb peripherals and fix the slow ethernet bug which has been identified and fixed on the Linux side of things and can be used for Remix Development).

Android has seen great improvement since the beginning (we have had 5 versions thus far and we are currently on version 6 also known as Beta 2).

These bugs will be ironed out soon enough it's just a matter of having a little patience. Read up on Pi history and you will see that the Pine is progressing/maturing at quite an impressive pace.

It's also worth pointing out that Lenny is one of those guys who is working very hard to get things were want them.  In muy opinion guys like him and longsleep are driving a great deal of the development because they simply want the project to succeed for the most part and aren't thanked enough so, for all you do Lenny, thank you

I wish the world could understand your hard work and dedication to a project that so many benefit from and many never know whom is responsible.  I do know, and I thank you.