PINE64
Wireshark development on a PinePhone Pro - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=177)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Pro Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+--- Thread: Wireshark development on a PinePhone Pro (/showthread.php?tid=16566)

Wireshark development on a PinePhone Pro - realrichardsharpe@gmail.com - 04-27-2022

I do a lot of work on Wireshark, but mainly on the dissector side (eg, 802.11 dissector stuff these days.)

I am thinking of exploring the possibility of using Wireshark on a phone form-factor device and the PinePhone Pro looks like it might be usable.

However, what sort of attachments would I need (keyboard, monitor, external NVMe storage) and is it possible to build with cmake and gcc etc on such a device.

I guess the flash storage is going to be much slower than NVMe ... maybe a cross development environment would be better. Ie, build on Ubuntu targeting ARM, and then install on the PinePhone Pro.

Does anyone have any comments?

RE: Wireshark development on a PinePhone Pro - TheBlindEarthican - 04-27-2022

(04-27-2022, 09:27 AM)realrichardsharpe@gmail.com Wrote: I do a lot of work on Wireshark, but mainly on the dissector side (eg, 802.11 dissector stuff these days.)

I am thinking of exploring the possibility of using Wireshark on a phone form-factor device and the PinePhone Pro looks like it might be usable.

However, what sort of attachments would I need (keyboard, monitor, external NVMe storage) and is it possible to build with cmake and gcc etc on such a device.

I guess the flash storage is going to be much slower than NVMe ... maybe a cross development environment would be better. Ie, build on Ubuntu targeting ARM, and then install on the PinePhone Pro.

Does anyone have any comments?
Both the PinePhone and the PinePhone Pro can build packages with cmake, gcc, meson,  etc.

The PinePhone is a bit slower then the Pro but it is very usable still.

Attachments that I would recommend:

Convergence Dock (doesn't come with Pro, but comes with PP Convergence edition)
Pinephone Keyboard ( If you want more battery life and to use your phone like a mini laptop, don't use with convergence dock at same time due to power management issue that is being worked out.)

USB or BT Keyboard for convergence dock.

Cooling solution when building large projects ( large projects can obviously take a while a heat up the phone alot ) or running i386/x86_64 games (box86/64) or heavy programs

128gb+ microsd card for external storage to house large projects ( I personally use a 1TB card. )

A serial cable from the store to help with debugging any boot issues.

RE: Wireshark development on a PinePhone Pro - wibble - 04-28-2022

On the non-Pro PinePhone if I need keyboard access I usually just use ssh. With the necessary -dev packages installed you can compile on the phone, but it will be slower than crossdev on a desktop. You'll have to be the judge of whether the speed is worth the extra step copying the result over. The suggested extra cooling seems a good idea if you're compiling on the phone.