PINE64
UK Carriers - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: UK Carriers (/showthread.php?tid=16296)

UK Carriers - Zweitaktmotor - 03-11-2022

I know there are a few threads about carriers already, but I thought I'd open one up specifically for the UK:

I have two SIM cards, both use the EE network, but only one of them works on Ubuntu Touch:

- The PAYG card from 1p mobile works as expected.

- An old pay monthly SIM from T-Mobile, later taken over by EE, causes problems: bad voice reception and no mobile data - a shame, because this SIM has unlimited data. It is also my main number that I had for over 20 years.

This is the only reason I have not ditched my old Android phone altogether!

RE: UK Carriers - as365n4 - 03-23-2022

I have used 3 (three) in the past and now with SMARTY which is a subsidiary of 3 but only available online. And both providers worked for me, although I have never used the call function, only SMS and mobile internet.

RE: UK Carriers - Zweitaktmotor - 03-23-2022

(03-23-2022, 12:09 PM)as365n4 Wrote: I have used 3 (three) in the past and now with SMARTY which is a subsidiary of 3 but only available online. And both providers worked for me, although I have never used the call function, only SMS and mobile internet.

Smarty has bad reception in my area, so had to cancel it.

RE: UK Carriers - dukla2000 - 03-23-2022

No problems with iDmobile (another 3 MVNO) - good 4G data, VOIP fine etc.

RE: UK Carriers - Dog House Dave - 03-27-2022

(03-11-2022, 08:02 PM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: I know there are a few threads about carriers already, but I thought I'd open one up specifically for the UK:

I have two SIM cards, both use the EE network, but only one of them works on Ubuntu Touch:

- The PAYG card from 1p mobile works as expected.

- An old pay monthly SIM from T-Mobile, later taken over by EE, causes problems: bad voice reception and no mobile data - a shame, because this SIM has unlimited data. It is also my main number that I had for over 20 years.

This is the only reason I have not ditched my old Android phone altogether!

Smile ... I have a pay monthly SIM from Vodafone with unlimited calls and text and run Manjaro Phosh (Beta 22) - Voice calls, SMS and mobile data all work great; although, I do get repeated SMS texts and have to clear them from the modem via the terminal every couple of days.

Confused  ... I don't use email or MMS, so couldn't say how well they work... did have MMS working, but the proxy address would disappear whenever the phone was rebooted, and I couldn't be arsed to keep typing it in, so just don't use it.   

Wink ... I've only used Manjaro and Mobian with the SIM, so couldn't say if Ubuntu will work, and I didn't port my old number from my old SIM (still use that as a "house phone"), so also couldn't say how easy it is... but the new SIM worked first time with no problems.