PINE64
Keyboard case is slick - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+--- Thread: Keyboard case is slick (/showthread.php?tid=16163)

Keyboard case is slick - ragreenburg - 02-25-2022

I was wondering if there is anything that can be added to the keyboard case to make it less slick? I feel like every time I grab it I am going to drop it. Any ideas?

RE: Keyboard case is slick - Hook - 02-25-2022

(02-25-2022, 09:06 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I was wondering if there is anything that can be added to the keyboard case to make it less slick? I feel like every time I grab it I am going to drop it. Any ideas?

I would recommend applying a textured skin of some sort to the backside. I haven't done it yet, but added a Dbrand skin to the back of my F(x) Tec Pro1, which was also slick, and it worked wonderfully (they have a black Mat skins). There are also various ways you can make your own for much cheaper, but I like Dbrand skins.

RE: Keyboard case is slick - ragreenburg - 02-25-2022

(02-25-2022, 09:15 AM)Hook Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 09:06 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I was wondering if there is anything that can be added to the keyboard case to make it less slick? I feel like every time I grab it I am going to drop it. Any ideas?

I would recommend applying a textured skin of some sort to the backside.  I haven't done it yet, but added a Dbrand skin to the back of my F(x) Tec Pro1, which was also slick, and it worked wonderfully (they have a black Mat skins).  There are also various ways you can make your own for much cheaper, but I like Dbrand skins.

Thanks for the help! Those look very promising!

RE: Keyboard case is slick - danimations - 03-02-2022

What about using a spray-on rubber (or similar) product? You could coat the case with a light dusting of it, which should help. I haven't tried this myself, mind you.

https://www.globalshop.com.au/products/flex-seal

RE: Keyboard case is slick - TRS-80 - 03-03-2022

I'm really sorry to hear that it sounds like the keyboard case is just as slick as the original case.  Sad

That's a real problem, especially since the screen is not gorilla glass, and these are made in such small numbers that no good (sturdy, like OtterBox) cases are made for them.

I have been very careful, however the inevitable happened and the phone slipped from my hand and shattered the screen, even though it was only a couple foot drop.  But I feel really bad for Mil, who has a thread (about cases) where he said he has replaced his screen 3 times already.  :o

(03-02-2022, 10:34 PM)danimations Wrote: What about using a spray-on rubber (or similar) product? You could coat the case with a light dusting of it, which should help.

The case is so slick, I was wondering if that would even adhere.  Probably best to scuff it up first a bit with some sandpaper I guess.  I guess 'ruining' it no longer matters if you are going to be spraying something like that on there anyway.

RE: Keyboard case is slick - wibble - 03-07-2022

You could also use something like Sugru to add non-slip areas and corner bumpers.

RE: Keyboard case is slick - biketool - 03-07-2022

(03-07-2022, 07:19 AM)wibble Wrote: You could also use something like Sugru to add non-slip areas and corner bumpers.

With careful measurements a .stl file for 3D printing would be pretty easy, then post the required files and either print it yourself or send the .stl to a print as a service place.  I assume a good % of users of pinephone vs normal phones have access to this tech?
Once people have one or two designs to ruggedize the Pinephone/KB cover we can start discussions of the survival of the fittest and it seems that Pine64 has experience managing a supply chain including injection molded plastics so it would probably become a store item vs DIY printing.

For 3D modelling purposes a very accurate 3D model would make subtracting that shape from a ruggedized case prototupe design becomes easy.