PINE64
Pinephone is dead (sort of) - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: Pinephone is dead (sort of) (/showthread.php?tid=15623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Pinephone is dead (sort of) - thorensjubilee - 12-28-2021

Hello,

My pinephone had UB ports on it and it worked. I wanted to put Manjaro with Plasma Mobile OS build on it to see how it had gone. So I connected it to Jumpdrive and connected it to one of my computers (windows 11). Then I used Balena Etcher to flash the OS image to the phone. That's when things went wrong. It didn't work. Windows anti virus came up with a fault which I didn't copy.

My pinephone didn't boot after that. What have I done wrong? Jumpdrive still works, but nothing else. 

Chris

RE: Pinephone is dead (sort of) - moodroid - 12-28-2021

If you think that your anti virus software is interfering (not heard it mentioned before), then you could just temporarily disable it and try again?
If it still doesn't work, then there's probably a problem with the compressed image that you're trying, e.g. bad build or it didn't download properly, so might be worth downloading a different one and trying that.
edit: thread here about Etcher problems with W11: https://forums.balena.io/t/unable-to-use-etcher-with-win11/349919/5

RE: Pinephone is dead (sort of) - thorensjubilee - 12-28-2021

(12-28-2021, 07:28 AM)moodroid Wrote: If you think that your anti virus software is interfering (not heard it mentioned before), then you could just temporarily disable it and try again?
If it still doesn't work, then there's probably a problem with the compressed image that you're trying, e.g. bad build or it didn't download properly, so might be worth downloading a different one and trying that.

Thank you for replying.

I've tried Windows 11 again, but there is no Jumpdrive emmc to flash to! That's what I'm so worried about. I use Balena Etcher.

Chris

RE: Pinephone is dead (sort of) - moodroid - 12-28-2021

(12-28-2021, 07:34 AM)thorensjubilee Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 07:28 AM)moodroid Wrote: If you think that your anti virus software is interfering (not heard it mentioned before), then you could just temporarily disable it and try again?

Thank you for replying.

I've tried Windows 11 again, but there is no Jumpdrive emmc to flash to! That's what I'm so worried about. I use Balena Etcher.

Chris

Ah right. That is worrying. Hope you get it sorted. The only thing I could suggest, is restarting the pinephone and PC, making sure the battery is well charged and trying a different usb socket / cable.

RE: Pinephone is dead (sort of) - thorensjubilee - 12-28-2021

I've tried all of that and no difference.

Chris

RE: Pinephone is dead (sort of) - Zebulon Walton - 12-28-2021

Some antivirus software is overly aggressive. If you disable AV does the eMMC show up as a drive in Windows' computer management tool? (Control panel/System and Security/Administrative Tools or Windows Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management)

If you are familiar with Linux maybe try booting up your PC on a Linux flash drive and check the system log live for errors as you connect Jumpdrive. (For most that would be tail -f /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages.)

RE: Pinephone is dead (sort of) - thorensjubilee - 12-29-2021

Thank you for your reply. I'll try it! I'm an Ubuntu fan but I don't know the ins and outs of Linux.

Chris

Hello,

No It doesn't show emmc when I remove the Microsoft windows 11 anto virus. That's all I have on this computer. It shows jumpdrive OK on the pinephone. I'll try Ubuntu.

Chris

Hello,

I've tried Ubuntu and it's the same thing: in DISCS Jumpdrive / EMMC doesn't show. Does this mean that Windows 11 has bricked the phone? Jumpdrive shows on the phone, not on the computer.

Chris

RE: Pinephone is dead (sort of) - moodroid - 12-29-2021

Have you looked at the log files that Zebulon suggested? Maybe if you post the results of those commands, then he, or someone else might be able to suggest something?

Hello,

Thanks for your message. How do I go about that? I've had two strokes and my memory is terrible.

Chris