PINE64
Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=130)
+---- Thread: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? (/showthread.php?tid=14460)

Pages: 1 2 3

Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - danimations - 07-17-2021

Since re-flashing Beta 11 to my eMMC, I've been unable to use my Pinephone cameras with the program Megapixels. This wasn't the case when I first received my Pinephone with the factory default OS and settings. The cameras worked fine out of the box. I didn't want those parts of the device working, so I switched them off for many months and thought nothing of it.

At the time of flashing to Beta 11, I still had the camera dip switches set to "off". Recently, I flicked the switch to "on" only to find that the Megapixels app doesn't work. When I try and open it, the desktop background screen shows, and that's it. No error messages or any other helpful prompts. 

I've tried reinstalling Megapixels without success.

Are there other packages that I should try reinstalling? I'm assuming this is a software/OS problem at this stage.  Undecided

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - dukla2000 - 07-18-2021

You should see any error messages if you open as terminal session and run megapixels there. And/or check for messages in the journal (journalctl -b or similar)

No exceptional pre-requisites but the error messages will clear up if that is a problem.

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - danimations - 07-18-2021

Thanks @dukla2000 ... what command do I enter to run megapixels via terminal?

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - kqlnut - 07-18-2021

(07-18-2021, 02:42 AM)danimations Wrote: Thanks @dukla2000 ... what command do I enter to run megapixels via terminal?
It's just
Code:
megapixels

Also another thing which may sound dumb, but sometimes it's the little things: Have you rebooted your phone after flipping the switch? Maybe the driver is only loaded at boot, so flipping switches with the phone turned on could lead to problems.

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - danimations - 08-10-2021

I've tested this further and have discovered that the problem listed at the top of this thread only occurs when one camera dipswitch is up and the other camera dipswitch is down. When both cameras are enabled, Megapixels loads fine.

Is this a universal fault? Perhaps in the start up routine in Megapixels and the way it searches for the two cameras?

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - jhasler - 04-01-2022

(08-10-2021, 05:59 AM)danimations Wrote: I've tested this further and have discovered that the problem listed at the top of this thread only occurs when one camera dipswitch is up and the other camera dipswitch is down. When both cameras are enabled, Megapixels loads fine.

Is this a universal fault? Perhaps in the start up routine in Megapixels and the way it searches for the two cameras?

This bug is still present.  It's fine with having one of the cameras turned off until I reboot.  The I get "Could not open /dev/video2: No such device or address
Segmentation fault"

Seems like a serious bug.

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - jhasler - 04-01-2022

(08-10-2021, 05:59 AM)danimations Wrote: I've tested this further and have discovered that the problem listed at the top of this thread only occurs when one camera dipswitch is up and the other camera dipswitch is down. When both cameras are enabled, Megapixels loads fine.

This has been reported upstream:

https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/megapixels/-/issues/13

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - gregb49 - 02-21-2023

I've tried several OSs (UBPorts, Sailfish, etc) but the most reliable so far seems to be Manjaro Phosh. I'm trying to use this as a daily 'phone.

However, Megapixels doesn't work. When I click on it, the camera screen appears but when I touch the 'photo button, Megapixels disappears instantly. It did take photos with other OSs. 

(manjaro-arm gnome 43 (phosh 0.23.0) Wayland  1.9gb/15.5gb 
PINEPHONE – Beta Edition bought Oct 2022)

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - alaraajavamma - 02-21-2023

(02-21-2023, 12:17 PM)gregb49 Wrote: I've tried several OSs (UBPorts, Sailfish, etc) but the most reliable so far seems to be Manjaro Phosh. I'm trying to use this as a daily 'phone.

However, Megapixels doesn't work. When I click on it, the camera screen appears but when I touch the 'photo button, Megapixels disappears instantly. It did take photos with other OSs. 

(manjaro-arm gnome 43 (phosh 0.23.0) Wayland  1.9gb/15.5gb 
PINEPHONE – Beta Edition bought Oct 2022)

Upgrade - this is fixed as we speak Smile.
Latest Manjaro upgrade did fix a lot and once again my Pinephone is rock solid.
Postprocessd from the default repo is not working so you have to use built-in postprocessor or install postprocessd from aur.

RE: Problem with cameras/Megapixels? - gregb49 - 02-22-2023

(02-21-2023, 02:47 PM)alaraajavamma Wrote: Upgrade - this is fixed as we speak Smile.
Latest Manjaro upgrade did fix a lot and once again my Pinephone is rock solid.
Postprocessd from the default repo is not working so you have to use built-in postprocessor or install postprocessd from aur.
Thanks. I've just carried out a 'pacman -Syu' upgrade, to phosh 0.24.0, and it seems that Megapixels is working now. 

I'm glad as I didn't understand your 'Postprocessed...' comment at all but I'm more a user than a tech expert.