PINE64
Warning: Don't try T12 tips - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinecil (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinecil (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=163)
+--- Thread: Warning: Don't try T12 tips (/showthread.php?tid=14417)

Warning: Don't try T12 tips - csiwek - 07-13-2021

Just a warning guys,

I was under influence of a random YT movie where someone was saying that pinecill will possibly take T12 tips. 

It will not!

it has similar dimensions and shape but there are very different. T12 are much longer

Don't even try putting it in. It will short the output and damage the iron.
From now the iron is not able to sense the temperature nor regulate it so the tip is fully on, making it glowing red.

For now, I diagnosed that one of the MOSFETs in U13/CJQ7328  is dead short. I don't have one handy. I will let you know later if replacing it fixes the problem.

RE: Warning: Don't try T12 tips - csiwek - 09-06-2021

(07-13-2021, 07:10 AM)csiwek Wrote: Just a warning guys,

I was under influence of a random YT movie where someone was saying that pinecill will possibly take T12 tips. 

It will not!

it has similar dimensions and shape but there are very different. T12 are much longer

From now the iron is not able to sense the temperature nor regulate it so the tip is fully on, making it glowing red.

For now, I diagnosed that one of the MOSFETs in U13/CJQ7328  is dead short. I don't have one handy. I will let you know later if replacing it fixes the problem.

Just to confirm: Replacing U13/CJQ7328 fixed the problem

RE: Warning: Don't try T12 tips - joryan44 - 09-18-2021

(09-06-2021, 03:55 PM)csiwek Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 07:10 AM)csiwek Wrote: Just a warning guys,

It will not!

Just to confirm: Replacing U13/CJQ7328 fixed the problem

Good to now. I have dusted off my pinecil - bought long ago, went busy with other projects, needing heavier iron and now, absolutely need this thing to work. Now where did I put that manual. :-)

RE: Warning: Don't try T12 tips - Ev3B - 10-28-2022

What a relief!. That's what I did and precisely what happened. I loved it for the few days I had it, before jamming a t12 down it's throat and ruining. But for some reason there was just a little sliver of doubt (Denial) that it was the actual culprit. Now that I have that cold hard evidence against myself. I can order another one.

RE: Warning: Don't try T12 tips - River - 11-05-2022

(10-28-2022, 11:35 PM)Ev3B Wrote: What a relief!. That's what I did and precisely what happened. I loved it for the few days I had it, before jamming a t12 down it's throat and ruining. But for some reason there was just a little sliver of doubt (Denial) that it was the actual culprit. Now that I have that cold hard evidence against myself. I can order another one.

If you push a T12 Tip into Pinecil, it will  hit  things and kill the Mosfett.   it can only be done if you  print a plastic 3D  Mosfet protector for the inside. and even then  why would people do this?   it makes the Pinecil Super long and hard to use.