PINE64
Still trying, SMS not working - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: Still trying, SMS not working (/showthread.php?tid=14414)

Pages: 1 2

Still trying, SMS not working - Nutmeg - 07-12-2021

We have two Pinephones, both running Mobian at the moment.  My phone seems to finally be getting and sending SMS, but the other phone is not. We have the same version, with updates as of today.  I tried fiddling with the modem. I deleted and refreshed the APN connection in settings and also terminal. I tried using Modem Manager GUI. When I try to get messaging-list-sms on the modem, it shows no messages. Some of his messages send, some do not. He is not receiving any. We have tried reflashing. I think we have tried everything that we know how to do. 

I am out of ideas.  Huh

RE: Still trying, SMS not working - rocket2nfinity - 07-13-2021

Is his signal strength the same as yours? If not, it could be maybe his antenna is not connected well. Might be worth the effort to open it and check. It's happened to several people. It's the cable snaking down the side from mainboard to USB board. See Wiki for diagrams.

RE: Still trying, SMS not working - TRS-80 - 07-13-2021

Nice to hear you are finally experiencing (some) success!

I concur with rocket2nfinity, due to the problem seeming to be associated with only one of the phones.  If that does fix the problem, it could also help to explain your previous issues.

Kudos to you for sticking with it!  Let us know how it works out.

EDIT:

Another idea, maybe in all your fiddling one of the SIM contacts was bent / damaged on the problem phone?  It just occurred to me while reading this thread (but I have read it before, too, seems to be somewhat common issue).

The general theme here being, very carefully inspect the problem phone and look for anything that might be different from the phone that works, perhaps including some dis- and re-assembly as rocket mentioned.

RE: Still trying, SMS not working - Nutmeg - 07-13-2021

His signal strength is the same. It seems that we are both inconsistently missing calls or text. It may be the service. Not sure. His is not really getting any texts, mine gets most, but not all. Will keep trying.

Well if the problems are on both phones, maybe it is the service. How many different service did you try? Maybe drive to another area to test. And/or ask neighbors and friends what they use. Service is very location dependent.

RE: Still trying, SMS not working - swiley - 07-13-2021

You will miss texts if you're running an OS that doesn't patch modem manager and chatty to deal with MMS.
Also I don't think anything will display MMS out of the box.

@swiley sorry for not knowing this, but what does that mean about a patch? How would we know? How would we deal with that? Thanks in advance.

I also read that with MVNO Verizon, it could be a problem related to an inaccurate or missing timestamp. Anyone have info on this?

Well, she did specifically state "SMS" in OP, so I am assuming she knows the difference?

But just in case, to clarify:

SMS = Short Message Service = regular plain text messages (1:1)
MMS = Multimedia Messaging Service = pictures and group messages

MMS are not working / supported, yet, anywhere (out of the box).

(07-13-2021, 10:00 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: Well, she did specifically state "SMS" in OP, so I am assuming she knows the difference?

But just in case, to clarify:

SMS = Short Message Service = regular plain text messages (1:1)
MMS = Multimedia Messaging Service = pictures and group messages

MMS are not working / supported, yet, anywhere (out of the box).
Haha, thanks for the credit. The modem does not show any messages but it is definitely sending texts but not receiving. Is there some other way to tease these messages out of cyberspace? It has to be something simple.  (hear primal scream coming from frustrated Minnesota pinephone user).