PINE64
I just burned my board - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: I just burned my board (/showthread.php?tid=1385)

Pages: 1 2

I just burned my board - coolnine98 - 06-15-2016

I have / had pine 64+ 1gb board and it was working great with Ubuntu.

I accidentally connected my spare battery (i didn't check and it was 7V) to battery terminal and I saw big spark and power went off. Now, when I try to power on my board, it turns ON (I can see the power red light) but without a sd card. Once i see the power lights On, I insert my sd card, power light gets turns off and nothing on screen. And If I turn on my board with sd card inserted, it wont turn on, No power light.

So did I toast my board? if yes then why it still turn on without a sd card inserted and turns off when sd card inserted?

Any idea.

Thanks

RE: I just burned my board - MarkHaysHarris777 - 06-15-2016

It is toast.

Uffda

RE: I just burned my board - Ghost - 06-15-2016

Uff da indeed.

You probably shouldn't have tried to connect the battery with the unit still on, and you definitely should have checked the battery voltage first. 

It may be that there is still some power finding its way around the board, but that when it attempts to boot the OS from the microSD, which requires more power, then the board finds itself short and won't start up. Don't know the effects of 'hot-swapping' the microSD as well, that might not be a great idea, either. 

Regardless, it does sound from your description very much like you've fried the board, unfortunately.

RE: I just burned my board - coolnine98 - 06-16-2016

Thanks. I also guess so. I have ordered another (2G) and till then I will work with my raspberry pi3.

RE: I just burned my board - laser411 - 09-13-2016

(06-16-2016, 09:42 AM)coolnine98 Wrote: Thanks. I also guess so.  I have ordered another (2G) and till then I will work with my raspberry pi3.

Is there not a voltage regulator on the pine? Surely since this is a processor board it would need a stable and regulated power supply. Probably burned that out and can probably be replaced. If you can't figure it out, send it to me :-D

RE: I just burned my board - MarkHaysHarris777 - 09-13-2016

(09-13-2016, 11:48 AM)laser411 Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 09:42 AM)coolnine98 Wrote: Thanks. I also guess so.  I have ordered another (2G) and till then I will work with my raspberry pi3.

Is there not a voltage regulator on the pine? Surely since this is a processor board it would need a stable and regulated power supply. Probably burned that out and can probably be replaced. If you can't figure it out, send it to me :-D

The Pine64+ Rev C Schematic is available now ( thanks TL Lim ) and you can take a look at what probably got burned out.

Its possible that the wpm1481 was blown, or that the mt3608 was blown, but more like the PMIC (AXP803) was blown---  or all three !  Depends whether the battery was plugged in, and what the setting of the 5v|batt jumper was at the time of the indescretion. And of course as components give way (sometimes like a stack of dominoes) secondary and tertiary compents fall as well... so , its anybody's guess how badly its damaged. My best guess is that the AXP803 is toast.

RE: I just burned my board - dkryder - 09-13-2016

would not have thought a 7v battery should cause that much damage a "spark" is indicative a something other than slight over voltage from battery. did you have proper wiring ? if apx803 was out would sd card in or out make any difference? it might be damaged sd card.

RE: I just burned my board - MarkHaysHarris777 - 09-13-2016

(09-13-2016, 03:23 PM)dkryder Wrote: would not have thought a 7v battery should cause that much damage  a "spark" is indicative a something other than slight over voltage from battery. did you have proper wiring ? if apx803 was out would sd card in or out make any difference? it might be damaged sd card.

Yes, the clue is that with the SD card inserted the red light does not come on... the red LED gets its power directly from the PMIC at DCDC1. So something is damaged baddly enough that the PMIC is not supplying power to the LED. What would it hurt to try another SD card ?  nothing...

A spark from a 7v supply is enough to destroy the entire board;  again, who really knows how much? ... not me.

RE: I just burned my board - pfeerick - 09-13-2016

(09-13-2016, 11:48 AM)laser411 Wrote: Is there not a voltage regulator on the pine? Surely since this is a processor board it would need a stable and regulated power supply. Probably burned that out and can probably be replaced. If you can't figure it out, send it to me :-D

Yeah, problem is though that although the PMIC can handle a maximum of 7v input, there are probably other components in the power path that wouldn't. Plus, I doubt that was a 7v battery... it was probably a 7.4v (2 cell, 7.4v nominal), which if fully charged would have been 8.40v... which would blow the PMIC instantly... so that board would now a 95% dead PMIC, with just enough of it's regulation circuitry is going to power the LED, which promptly goes out when the PMIC is pushed to provide power to the SD card. Sad

Unless you have a reflow station, and are willing to go replacing several surface mounts parts... I think that makes that board a good example of what not to do! :-O Much better to just buy another board... as there is no guarantee that the main CPU/memory/etc didn't get wiped out in the cascade failure of the PMIC...

RE: I just burned my board - dkryder - 09-14-2016

well , the minnowboard(another sbc, http://www.adiengineering.com/products/minnowboard-turbot/ ) also does not have overvoltage protection. there has been quite a bit of discussion on mailing list about damage due to user having plugged in something other that 5v and some have said that damage generally does not occur unless greater that 7v. like 9v. on the minnowboard the current takes out an IC NCT3012S TR which is primary voltage/current distribution and that particular chip is easy to replace thus bring most of the dead boards back. only if pine64 life was as easy. and this is power supply, not battery. so that is why i kinda question that a 7v, or 7.4v battery can cause real bad damage. maybe it can damage significantly at that voltage, it would surprise me. i mean we live in a world where a lot of 3.3v is tolerant of 5v. it would be nice if i was able to discern current flow from looking at a schematic chart, but i can't Smile