PINE64
PinePhone can't make outbound calls - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: PinePhone can't make outbound calls (/showthread.php?tid=13594)

PinePhone can't make outbound calls - rocketchik24 - 04-08-2021

I am new on this forum and new to the pine phone and I hope I can learn a lot from this so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area but it might be the only forum that can help. 

I purchased the pine phone and finally got it about a month ago and I folled the instructions and decided that my flavor of Linux would be ubuntu touch, although if debian would behave I would have wanted that. So I flashed the eMMC with Ubuntu Touch and purchased Mint mobile for ~3 month to test it out. I inserted the sim and it did not work right away so I played with the settings and finally got the APN settings to work for the most part but the problem that I have now is that it will not make outbound calls. Reciving calls is fine and I can hear the other person on the line, but making calls is a no go it says that it is unavaliable and then just quits the call. 

I am hoping that posting here will give me some hints but maybe what I am really asking for is where I can find error logs for such things and how to solve it myself maybe? I know that the APN settings try not to save as internet and MMS but not entirely not sure as to why. 

Thanks to anyone that helps out I appreciate you Smile

RE: PinePhone can't make outbound calls - dukla2000 - 04-08-2021

(04-08-2021, 10:54 AM)rocketchik24 Wrote: I am new on this forum and new to the pine phone and I hope I can learn a lot
Welcome, and hopefully you enjoy the journey.

(04-08-2021, 10:54 AM)rocketchik24 Wrote: ...
I am hoping that posting here will give me some hints but maybe what I am really asking for is where I can find error logs for such thing
Try opening a terminal window and typing the command
Code:
journalctl -f
which will show the last few lines of the system journal and will carry on running and show any new entries as they are added.

Then again I have no idea if Ubuntu Touch is systemd based: in any event I would recommend you flash the latest version of Mobian onto an SDcard and try that. I do it every couple of weeks and it just works for me: the point of this suggestion is to check you don't have some weird phone/SIM/provider glitch. (Or you could try Arch - again I flash it every couple of weeks and calls just work. Both Mobian & Arch are phosh based, unlike UT IIRC. UT uses ofono for plain old telephony and that may be troublesome in your environment.)

RE: PinePhone can't make outbound calls - rocketchik24 - 04-11-2021

Sorry if my format for the reply is off, I am young and not used to a format like this. I posted this question in mutiple places and I am hearing that mobian is I guess the way to go but when I loaded it up on an SD it was 100% more buggy that the ubuntu touch but the ubuntu touch also got better for some reason with time and a few reboots. It would be journalctl wouldn't it. I am a linux person and should have figured that out. Thank you for your response. 

I am going to install mobian which is the OS I wanted anyways and go from there when I get time.

Code:
journalctl -f

Gives a return of "No journal files were found." Which indicates that journalctl works but there was nothing in the journal to be found?

RE: PinePhone can't make outbound calls - dukla2000 - 04-11-2021

(04-11-2021, 01:48 PM)rocketchik24 Wrote: Sorry if my format for the reply is off, I am young and not used to a format like this. I posted this question in mutiple places and I am hearing that mobian is I guess the way to go but when I loaded it up on an SD it was 100% more buggy that the ubuntu touch but the ubuntu touch also got better for some reason with time and a few reboots. It would be journalctl wouldn't it. I am a linux person and should have figured that out. Thank you for your response. 

I am going to install mobian which is the OS I wanted anyways and go from there when I get time.

I recommend Mobian because
1) It works for me
2) As far as I read here it is the most usable for basic phone(/sms/data) functions out of the box.

It really isn't normally buggy - I can boot Mobian and use my phone and computer functions (browsing etc) for a week or more without any crash (at least of the kernel - occasionally phosh but that just requires another login.) So if you are having troubles I would repeat the flash and/or download etc to get rid of corruptions. Bear in mind you should use a decent SDcard for a decent experience - I use Samsung Evo+. Class 10 is just fine - the real key is to get a card with fast read/write of small random files. Also, to avoid complications until you have a better feel for what is normal, I would avoid the Full Disk Encrypted version of Mobian.

Dunnoh why your journal is empty - you may need to try a sudo in front. (Or sort out your user membership of adm group?) Of course you can check dmesg but that tends only to have pretty high level system messages.