PINE64
Difficulty making calls - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Difficulty making calls (/showthread.php?tid=13498)

Pages: 1 2

Difficulty making calls - Zebulon Walton - 03-25-2021

Has anyone else noticed difficulty in making calls? It seems that making calls has become less reliable. (Not sure when this started happening because I'm still using the Pinephone for test purposes and don't call out with it frequently.)

What happens is that when using the dial pad, the phone just gives a brief click but the call screen with the red hangup button never comes up. Sometimes you can see it become visible for a fraction of a second before disappearing to be replaced with the keypad. Immediately repeating the call, sometimes there is brief audio from other end indicating a connection was made but the audio cuts out immediately.

Initiating calls from the contact list seems to work a little better, but it's still necessary to press the call button several times before the call screen and audio come up.

Mobian is up to the current patch level as of this writing.

RE: Difficulty making calls - battlegarden - 03-26-2021

I can't pinpoint exact behaviour but I can confirm that I've had several issues with calls in the past 2-3 days. Also the volume of the calls has changed without me actively changing it, it seems.

RE: Difficulty making calls - Zebulon Walton - 03-26-2021

Probably needs to be chalked up to alpha software, regressions happen. Will likely be fixed after some more updates.

RE: Difficulty making calls - C0ffeeFreak - 03-26-2021

Running the stable or unstable branch?

RE: Difficulty making calls - calinb - 03-27-2021

(03-25-2021, 07:50 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Has anyone else noticed difficulty in making calls?  <snip>
Lately, I have experienced the buggy Mobian behavior you describe. I only make (or try to make) calls when I'm in town. I have no cell service at home so I use Megi's 17-boot image on my SD card so I can boot to an older Mobian or Manjaro when necessary to make calls away from home. I have found the latest main Mobian to be best for "convergence" use but it currently doesn't make for a reliable phone. Hopefully phone and SMS reliability will return to Mobian soon.

RE: Difficulty making calls - Zebulon Walton - 03-27-2021

(03-26-2021, 09:36 PM)C0ffeeFreak Wrote: Running the stable or unstable branch?

Stable. (I figure things are in flux enough with the "stable" release without going to the bleeding edge.) This issue is a fairly recent development. Making calls was working reliably for some time so that will probably return as the software is further updated. I was in software development for quite a few years and understand the consequences of running alpha software. Fortunately I don't yet need to use this as my daily use phone.

RE: Difficulty making calls - calinb - 03-27-2021

I'm running stable too, but I recently updated phoc to unstable 0.9.0-1mobian1 to see if it might make a difference with the spurious phosh resets I was getting. (It did not.) Also, we have no AT&T GSM signals anywhere near where I live (I'm on H2O mvno) but Mobian was acting very strangely with false signal bars and 4G annunciators for awhile too. At least that behavior vanished about a week+ ago. Perhaps other phone call problems have been corrected too. I need to check on my next trip to town, which is nearly an hour's drive away here in rural Idaho).

RE: Difficulty making calls - fernando_c_m - 03-29-2021

Hello,
stable, updated to the last.
The only issue I have, is that the audio will be dropped when the phone goes to sleep. Pressing the power button brings the audio back again. It used to happen after an hour or so. Now it happens right away after going into powe save mode.

RE: Difficulty making calls - Zebulon Walton - 04-19-2021

Followup,  I hadn't had time to work with the Pinephone for a while but today fired it up and executed "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade". I noticed  that the updates included gnome-calls, phoc, phosh, and phosh-mobile-tweaks among others.

Installed updates, rebooted the phone, and now calls are working reliably including the speaker and dialpad. The only issue I notice now is that when shutting down or rebooting a message pops up that "Squeekboard" is not responding and there is an option to cancel, power off/reboot, or wait 60 seconds for for the action to take place. That's just a minor annoyance though, having calls working again is a big win.

I think I'll make an image backup of this while calls are working well!

RE: Difficulty making calls - calinb - 04-19-2021

(04-19-2021, 01:29 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: The only issue I notice now is that when shutting down or rebooting a message pops up that "Squeekboard" is not responding and there is an option to cancel, power off/reboot, or wait 60 seconds for for the action to take place. That's just a minor annoyance though, having calls working again is a big win.
I get the same Squeekboard message too and also just ignore it.