PINE64
robots.txt on wiki and forum - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: robots.txt on wiki and forum (/showthread.php?tid=1319)

robots.txt on wiki and forum - lvella - 06-09-2016

The lack of resources about Pine64 on search engines was suddenly explained when I found out that both the forum and the wiki had their "robots.txt" files configured to forbid indexing:

Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /

Can the person responsible for the domains please enable indexing of the contents and make our user lives easier?

RE: robots.txt on wiki and forum - tllim - 06-10-2016

(06-09-2016, 09:00 PM)lvella Wrote: The lack of resources about Pine64 on search engines was suddenly explained when I found out that both the forum and the wiki had their "robots.txt" files configured to forbid indexing:

Code:

Can the person responsible for the domains please enable indexing of the contents and make our user lives easier?
We purposely disabled this due to it will generate a lot of soliciting traffic and slow down forum.

RE: robots.txt on wiki and forum - lvella - 06-10-2016

(06-10-2016, 01:38 AM)tllim Wrote:
(06-09-2016, 09:00 PM)lvella Wrote: The lack of resources about Pine64 on search engines was suddenly explained when I found out that both the forum and the wiki had their "robots.txt" files configured to forbid indexing:

Code:

We purposely disabled this due to it will generate a lot of soliciting traffic and slow down forum.

The forum allows only one search per 30 seconds, but Google gives all of us for free multiple searches per second. I don't know what is the burden of the bots on the servers, but looking for where I stand, it seems hardly worthwhile to forbid them, given the benefits (and that only good bots honors robots.txt).

RE: robots.txt on wiki and forum - tllim - 06-11-2016

(06-10-2016, 11:23 PM)lvella Wrote:
(06-10-2016, 01:38 AM)tllim Wrote:

Code:

The forum allows only one search per 30 seconds, but Google gives all of us for free multiple searches per second. I don't know what is the burden of the bots on the servers, but looking for where I stand, it seems hardly worthwhile to forbid them, given the benefits (and that only good bots honors robots.txt).
I will explore with IT manager again, he against the idea on opening.