PINE64
Sudden Pinebook Pro boot problems - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Sudden Pinebook Pro boot problems (/showthread.php?tid=12770)

Sudden Pinebook Pro boot problems - ndp - 01-12-2021

My Pinebook Pro has suddenly developed boot problems.

I have Danielt's Debian installed on emmc and it was working fine until today.

Now when I press or hold the power button nothing happens.

If I insert a MicroSD card with a distro installed on it and press/hold the power button the following happens:

1. I get a red light

2. Next I get a green light and the PBP boots the image installed on the emmc rather than the image on the MicroSD card.

Any Ideas on how I can fix it so I can:

1.boot from emmc without the presence of a MicroSD card.

2. boot from SDcard when one is installed.

RE: Sudden Pinebook Pro boot problems - Tharadash - 01-13-2021

Hi ndp

I'm also using Daniels Debian-Installer.

I noticed that since a couple of days, the boot process takes around 30-40 seconds instead of the usual 10-20.

Have you been able to get any console output from your install?

RE: Sudden Pinebook Pro boot problems - moonwalkers - 01-14-2021

(01-13-2021, 04:18 AM)Tharadash Wrote: Hi ndp

I noticed that since a couple of days, the boot process takes around 30-40 seconds instead of the usual 10-20.

I at some point have seen my PBP also increase its boot time. Turned out the original MODULES=list in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf got changed to MODULES=most, which is Debian's default. Probably the whole file got replaced during one of the updates, because I usually also set KEYMAP=y instead of its default KEYMAY=n and that was reset too. I run kernel 5.8.5 built with pbp-tools script, and with it I currently have set MODULES=dep. Works fine and boots pretty quickly.

P.S.: I also have MrFixit's v2.0 u-boot on eMMC and I've removed maxcpus=4 from /etc/default/u-boot together with the snippet in /etc/tmpfiles.d/ that re-enables big cores during boot.

RE: Sudden Pinebook Pro boot problems - ndp - 01-21-2021

(01-14-2021, 09:34 AM)moonwalkers Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 04:18 AM)Tharadash Wrote: Hi ndp

I at some point have seen my PBP also increase its boot time. Turned out the original MODULES=list in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf got changed to MODULES=most, which is Debian's default. Probably the whole file got replaced during one of the updates, because I usually also set KEYMAP=y instead of its default KEYMAY=n and that was reset too. I run kernel 5.8.5 built with pbp-tools script, and with it I currently have set MODULES=dep. Works fine and boots pretty quickly.

P.S.: I also have MrFixit's v2.0 u-boot on eMMC and I've removed maxcpus=4 from /etc/default/u-boot together with the snippet in /etc/tmpfiles.d/ that re-enables big cores during boot.

I had no joy fixing this boot problem, so I booted of a MicroSD running MrFixit's Debian Mate image and then re-installed to the eMMC using Danielt's Debian installer.
This time I installed the default "bullseye" version rather than the "buster" version that I specified on the previous install.
So far, the new bullseye install seemsĀ snappier and more stable.