PINE64
Hot when charging - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: Hot when charging (/showthread.php?tid=12647)

Pages: 1 2

Hot when charging - ADGW - 12-28-2020

I received my PinePhone and was super happy.  Then I went to charge it up and it gets super hot.  Not warm, but hot.  This is just within a couple of minutes or so.  I have never charged it all the way or even put my sim card in as I don't know if it can be used getting so incredibility hot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I don't know it I need to send back for an exchange or there is a reason for this intense heating up.  Thankyou

RE: Hot when charging - hiimtye - 12-28-2020

updating your system should resolve it. most distros use megi's kernel, which limits both the capacity that they will charge to, and I believe the charging voltage, but don't quote me on that.

at any rate, the kernel addresses heating issues with the default batteries

RE: Hot when charging - ADGW - 12-29-2020

(12-28-2020, 05:05 PM)hiimtye Wrote: updating your system should resolve it. most distros use megi's kernel, which limits both the capacity that they will charge to, and I believe the charging voltage, but don't quote me on that.

at any rate, the kernel addresses heating issues with the default batteries
Thank you for the suggestion.  I am a total newbie to all this.  I have tried looking through all settings and even brought up Lollypop and nothing shows, Upgrade or Update.  If someone could direct me in the correct direction to do an update it would be much appreciated.  Thankyou

RE: Hot when charging - rocket2nfinity - 12-29-2020

I am assuming Manjaro, so in terminal type:

sudo pacman -Syu

RE: Hot when charging - hiimtye - 12-29-2020

any Arch spinoff (including Manjaro) uses pacman
Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
any debian spinoff (including UBPorts) uses apt
Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
pmOS uses apk
Code:
sudo apk -U upgrade
depending on which Pinephone you received

RE: Hot when charging - ADGW - 12-30-2020

(12-29-2020, 06:21 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: I am assuming Manjaro, so in terminal type:

sudo pacman -Syu
Thank you for the reply.  I typed the above in and received the following:
[sudo] password for manjaro:

not sure what password it needs.

RE: Hot when charging - evilbunny - 12-30-2020

(12-29-2020, 03:37 PM)hiimtye Wrote: any Arch spinoff (including Manjaro) uses pacman
Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
any debian spinoff (including UBPorts) uses apt
Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
pmOS uses apk
Code:
sudo apk -U upgrade
depending on which Pinephone you received

UBports has the main partition read only because they don't recommend using apt, so to upgrade with apt you need to umount -o remount,rw /

(12-30-2020, 04:46 AM)ADGW Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 06:21 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: I am assuming Manjaro, so in terminal type:

sudo pacman -Syu
Thank you for the reply.  I typed the above in and received the following:
[sudo] password for manjaro:

not sure what password it needs.

Usually it's the pin number you log into the phone's lock screen.

RE: Hot when charging - ryo - 12-30-2020

(12-30-2020, 04:46 AM)ADGW Wrote: not sure what password it needs.
Password = pass code.
So if you're using for example 1234 to unlock the screen, your password will be 1234.
If you change it the PIN to 9876, password will also become 9876.

RE: Hot when charging - ADGW - 12-31-2020

Well, when I put in the password it definitely started to do the upgrade.  Then it came up with the following:

error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
error: failed to synchronize all databases

Then it started to buzz.  I mean it almost sounded like a toy airplane buzz sound or something.  I thought that was strange so I turned it off and waited a couple of minutes.  No more buzzing.  I tried the update again and this time no buzz, but it said all the above again.  
I really appreciate all your help.  Looks like i need more help please.  Thank you.

RE: Hot when charging - rocket2nfinity - 12-31-2020

(12-31-2020, 11:25 AM)ADGW Wrote: Well, when I put in the password it definitely started to do the upgrade.  Then it came up with the following:

error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
error: failed to synchronize all databases

Then it started to buzz.  I mean it almost sounded like a toy airplane buzz sound or something.  I thought that was strange so I turned it off and waited a couple of minutes.  No more buzzing.  I tried the update again and this time no buzz, but it said all the above again.  
I really appreciate all your help.  Looks like i need more help please.  Thank you.
Type

sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

Then

sudo pacman -Syu

However, the buzzing has me concerned. Don't ever recall it doing that on mine.