PINE64
Troubleshooting controller support? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+--- Thread: Troubleshooting controller support? (/showthread.php?tid=12563)

Troubleshooting controller support? - gamerminstrel - 12-19-2020

I am trying to set up any of my several videogame controllers to the Pinephone, but am having poor luck.
(The following applies using Mobian and Manjaro, both using Phosh)

I have multiple bluetooth controllers (iPega-9087, and an XBox One S controller). I can pair them with the pinephone, but when I try to connect to them, they disconnect instantly.

I have a USB-C hub that works for convergence (HDMI out and USB Mouse + Keyboard works), but trying the XBox One Controller via physical connection just makes it vibrate briefly(indicating a connection) over and over.

I have a Razer Kishi controller that connects directly to USB-C. When plugged in, it lights up to indicate there is a connection. Running lsusb even reveals it is identified as the Razer Kishi, but no software can use it.

Is this something I can report as a bug somewhere, or is it a known issue due to the still alpha/beta state of any OS on the pinephone?

RE: Troubleshooting controller support? - wibble - 12-20-2020

Do all the controllers work with an ordinary linux desktop install? This is a check for general linux compatibility. If the controllers normally work with linux you need to check whether the PinePhone kernel you're using includes the right drivers. If it doesn't then you can reconfigure and recompile yourself, or file a bug report with the distro maintainer and wait. The wiki page has the bug reporting details for most of the distros:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_Software_Releases

RE: Troubleshooting controller support? - StridAst - 03-28-2021

(12-19-2020, 02:19 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: I am trying to set up any of my several videogame controllers to the Pinephone, but am having poor luck.
(The following applies using Mobian and Manjaro, both using Phosh)

I have multiple bluetooth controllers (iPega-9087, and an XBox One S controller). I can pair them with the pinephone, but when I try to connect to them, they disconnect instantly.

I have a USB-C hub that works for convergence (HDMI out and USB Mouse + Keyboard works), but trying the XBox One Controller via physical connection just makes it vibrate briefly(indicating a connection) over and over.

I have a Razer Kishi controller that connects directly to USB-C. When plugged in, it lights up to indicate there is a connection. Running lsusb even reveals it is identified as the Razer Kishi, but no software can use it.

Is this something I can report as a bug somewhere, or is it a known issue due to the still alpha/beta state of any OS on the pinephone?

Did you ever get controllers to work?  I've also got several bluetooth controllers, as well as a kishi. So I'm also curious on this one.  But I just pre-ordered my pinephone.  So I won't be able to experiment myself until it shows up eventually.

RE: Troubleshooting controller support? - gamerminstrel - 03-31-2021

(03-28-2021, 10:16 PM)StridAst Wrote: Did you ever get controllers to work?  I've also got several bluetooth controllers, as well as a kishi. So I'm also curious on this one.  But I just pre-ordered my pinephone.  So I won't be able to experiment myself until it shows up eventually.

Sad to say, only marginal progress has been made.
The good: Bluetooth compatibility has come a loooooong way since then, so I can actually pair my bluetooth earbuds and/or my controllers.

The bad: The issue now is that nothing knows how to use controllers. The occasional game will recognize the left joystick as up/down/left/right, and very rarely you'll find a game that does more than that (press A to jump). Retroarch actually works perfectly for ten seconds before flickering uncontrollably until you reboot the phone.

The ugly: I kind of knew this going in, but being able to play gamepad-based games and emulators on the Pinephone is not really going to be possible for a long time. At least another year or so at this rate before more playable games start trickling in. Plasma Mobile and Phosh both need a lot more smoothing out first. I'm hoping that once certain milestones have been hit though, swaths of games depending on certain libraries will start to "just work".