PINE64
Pinebook pro no longer boots - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook pro no longer boots (/showthread.php?tid=12425)

Pinebook pro no longer boots - xsquared93 - 12-06-2020

Hello,

I was following these instructions to install Arch Linux ARM on my pinebook:

https://www.bencode.net/posts/pinebook/

and when I got to the last step I tried to reboot the computer by turning it off and this triggered the red LED light to turn on. 

I tried typing “reboot” but failed because I was inside chroot.

I have tried to boot from an sd card but failed.

I have tried holding the power button for 20 secs but failed.

Any help will be appreciated.

RE: Pinebook pro no longer boots - FeMike - 12-08-2020

(12-06-2020, 10:02 AM)xsquared93 Wrote: Hello,

and when I got to the last step I tried to reboot the computer by turning it off and this triggered the red LED light to turn on. 

On step 13 it says It vomits the idbloader and u-boot in /boot and points to where it should go. Did you dd those 2 files before the reboot? I'm still newish so forgive my ignorance if you did already. If not try to dd those files as stated after step 13. Then reboot. I wonder if those dd commands should be placed within step 13 and not after. But that's all I got hope it helps.

RE: Pinebook pro no longer boots - xsquared93 - 12-10-2020

(12-08-2020, 03:21 PM)FeMike Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 10:02 AM)xsquared93 Wrote: Hello,

On step 13 it says It vomits the idbloader and u-boot in /boot and points to where it should go. Did you dd those 2 files before the reboot? I'm still newish so forgive my ignorance if you did already. If not try to dd those files as stated after step 13. Then reboot. I wonder if those dd commands should be placed within step 13 and not after. But that's all I got hope it helps.
The computer doesn’t turn on so I can’t try what you’re saying.

RE: Pinebook pro no longer boots - nightranger73 - 12-10-2020

You need to unscrew the backplate and disable EMMC. Then reboot from sd card while switching the EMMC on after a couple of seconds.
I usually do this on a side of a table so I can keep the display part open, avoiding possible damages to the hinge that may occur opening the display.

Refer to the pinebook wiki to find the EMMC toggle

If the eMMC module is enabled after boot from an SD card (i.e you are too slow switching the emmc toggle), you can enable the EMMC with the following commands as user "root";
Code:
echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/unbind
echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/bind

RE: Pinebook pro no longer boots - TheLastDon - 01-02-2021

(12-10-2020, 01:33 PM)nightranger73 Wrote: You need to unscrew the backplate and disable EMMC. Then reboot from sd card while switching the EMMC on after a couple of seconds.
I usually do this on a side of a table so I can keep the display part open, avoiding possible damages to the hinge that may occur opening the display.

If the eMMC module is enabled after boot from an SD card (i.e you are too slow switching the emmc toggle), you can enable the EMMC with the following commands as user "root";
Code:

When I turned off the EMMC toggle the PBP wouldn't even power on. I'm having issues getting it to boot from the sdcard too. 

RE: Pinebook pro no longer boots - appelgriebsch - 01-24-2021

Have had a similar issue today and could solve it by removing the backplate and pressing the RESET button on the top of the mainboard north of the EMMC...

After that the PBPRO booted again Smile

RE: Pinebook pro no longer boots - SteveSquatch - 02-12-2021

(01-02-2021, 03:33 AM)TheLastDon Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 01:33 PM)nightranger73 Wrote: You need to unscrew the backplate and disable EMMC. Then reboot from sd card while switching the EMMC on after a couple of seconds.

Code:

When I turned off the EMMC toggle the PBP wouldn't even power on. I'm having issues getting it to boot from the sdcard too. 
Any luck? I'm having similar issues. Disabling emmc won't allow me to power on the device. Reset doesn't seem to do anything either.

RE: Pinebook pro no longer boots - wdt - 02-13-2021

I have reason to believe that the internal reset button is sometimes "flaky"
Either try giving it a "wiggle" as you press it OR a long press (20+s) of
pwr button, which I think does same thing
Bad uboots MUST be gone, a "good" uboot MUST be present
With no uboot, nothing at all will happen