PINE64
Wifi stopped working after updates - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Wifi stopped working after updates (/showthread.php?tid=11975)

Pages: 1 2

Wifi stopped working after updates - pineitup - 10-28-2020

I have recently set up an SD card with the most recent Manjaro 20.10 and it connected to the Wifi with no problems at all just last night. Then I was prompted to update some of the software through the software update manager so I've let it run until completion.
After a restart the wifi stopped working -- It doesn't connect to the last network it used to and the wifi menu that pops out of the bottom doesn't show any networks to be available (the list is empty).
I made sure the wifi hardware switch is off.
How can I fix this?

Thank you!

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - nightranger73 - 10-28-2020

I've had a similar problem with 2.4Ghz net. My PBP was seeing 5GHz only. It did this for 3 or 4 days but it seems to be solved now. I had to use my phone tethering set to 5GHz as a bridge to my wlan (2.4 only)

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - pineitup - 10-28-2020

I don't see both 2.4 and 5GHz network so the problem is more general (there are no networks at all on the list).

Does anybody have suggestions for what to test and whether it has something to do with one of the latest updates?

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - pineitup - 10-29-2020

(10-28-2020, 08:23 PM)pineitup Wrote: I don't see both 2.4 and 5GHz network so the problem is more general (there are no networks at all on the list).

Does anybody have suggestions for what to test and whether it has something to do with one of the latest updates?
So it happened again after reflashing a new installation -- I can connect to the wifi but after installing the system updates it stops working. The Networks menu shows no networks at all and instead there's a label saying 'Wireless is deactivated'. Although I didn't activate the hardware switch and it doesn't appear to be on.

Can anybody kindly suggest any directions to test what's going on?

Thank you

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - wdt - 10-29-2020

ls -l /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ap6*,,, 1 or 2?
But more likely NetworkManager
I'm sure there are systemd commands, but (?? systemctl restart NetworkManager ??)

sudo nmcli -o r ,,, and maybe
sudo nmcli r wifi on

OR you could change to something else if it annoys you, wpa_supplicant is ALWAYS available,
but I think connman and cmst for the gui is a viable alternative
If you pick something else,,, you do have to disable NetworkManager

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - flatulent_piney - 11-02-2020

Finally signed up for an account with these foums because of this issue. I dont have a fix but I can tell a little about how this issue started for me and what I have already tried. Maybe we can get somewhere Big Grin

This issue has happened to me 3 separate times. 2x with an SD card install and 1x on emmc. I wiped the SD card installs and started from scratch. They seem to be working fine. The emmc is still borked.... but that just means that I can use it to help test solutions. This started for me when I tried a live SD card version of ChromiumOS (no I dont think there is anything wrong with the build, I can just definitively say that my install was working before and was *NOT* working after). I had trouble signing in to the ChromiumOS install and have no real explanation why, But I did notice that the timezone appeared to be wrong. Cant fix that without a sign-in, so I gave up for the night and went back to my emmc. The clock was now wrong on my emmc and could not be fixed persistently (date and time changes would not last past a reboot). Same problem with an alternate version of Manjaro I had installed to an sd card (time was wrong and no connections showed in the NetworkManager applet)

"systemctl status NetworkManager " showed that network manager was online and active, but still no wifi connections available. The "Edit Connections" dialogue showed my AP as well, but I couldnt not connect to them. I also could not use a USB/Ethernet dongle that was previously known working.

"systemctl restart NetworkManager" showed that the network manager had been restarted successfully, but still was dead to any kind of network. neither wifi nor USB/ethernet would connect.

setting up wpa_supplicant threw an error about nl80211 not working and wext couldnt find the network either ( I can get the exact errors if it helps). Frankly I am not sure that I was using wpa supplicant sorrectly but I followed the steps in the arch-wiki with no success.

"ip addr" no longer lists wlan0 or any other interfaces besides loopback.

inxi gives no information about the Network but the pbp wiki says that is normal.

/var/cache/pacman/pkg shows NetworkManager version 1.26 on both the sdcard that is working and the non-networked emmc

TLDR: Ive got the same problem and no solution either but am willing to help test. Reinstalling the OS on my sd card allowed me to get back up and running normally and to my knowledge I am running current versions of all packages.

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - wdt - 11-02-2020

With the DST change recently, I went thru a bit of this,, check
date ; ls -l /etc/localtime (should be soft link to right tz)
if ifconfig or ip a doesn't show wlan0,, wpa_supplicant won't work, maybe try bind cmd???
sudo tee /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/es8316/{un,}bind

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - flatulent_piney - 11-05-2020

(11-02-2020, 02:53 PM)wdt Wrote: With the DST change recently, I went thru a bit of this,, check
date  ;  ls -l /etc/localtime  (should be soft link to right tz)
if ifconfig or ip a doesn't show wlan0,, wpa_supplicant won't work, maybe try bind cmd???
sudo tee /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/es8316/{un,}bind
link to correct tz is there.  No idea what is going on with the time. Date/time show incorrectly on lockscreen, but correctly once in the OS, but only if I uncheck ''Audtomatic Date and Time" in the settings.  If that setting is checked, I get a new incorrect date and time for each reboot.

/sys/bus/i2c/drivers shows no directory for es8316 in the borked install. However es8316 *is* there in a functioning instal on an sd card.  A number of other directories are also missing.  I will search around and see what I can make of this while we wait for the OP to come back and confirm if any of these issues are present with their problem.  I dont want to hijack the thread Tongue

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - wdt - 11-05-2020

Well, there is a possible experiment, try another dtb
Especially if install and SD are same or close
That is, on non working mv dtb *.old, copy working dtb .
I'm making an assumption here that the two dtbs are different, check
But if other stuff is missing, why not reinstall?
-----
And having another look,,, sorry ,,,sudo tee /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/es8316/{un,}bind
is wrong, that is revive sound after sleep

This is the right one, and we know it's not turned off by pine key because SD boot works
sudo tee /sys/bus/platform/drivers/dwmmc_rockchip/{un,}bind <<< "$(basename /sys/devices/platform/fe310*)"
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8313&pid=52645&highlight=bind#pid52645

RE: Wifi stopped working after updates - flatulent_piney - 11-07-2020

(11-05-2020, 08:27 PM)wdt Wrote: But if other stuff is missing, why not reinstall?

Mostly for forensic purposes.  I can/will reinstall when that becomes neccessary, but this has happened several times and I may encounter it again and need to know the fix. This pbp is not my daily driver ,however, and still boots from ssd just fine.  I have reviewed the modules that are loaded on a working install vs the borked install and am beginning to think this install may be unrecoverable. trying to load the 80211 module throws an error that lead me to believe the kernel is incomplete (Fatal: blah,blah blah module not found in /lib/kernel/directory/where/the/kernel/is).

Kernel stuff is usually a bit over my head, but I will report back if I figure out a way to rollback/replace the kernel without network available.  Thanks for all your help BTW