PINE64
Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? (/showthread.php?tid=11953)

Pages: 1 2

Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - jimsurvak - 10-26-2020

Hello Pine64 community!
I've been reasonably happy with my PbP since receiving it early this year. However, I was tinkering around with some things & installed the former Debian-based factory OS & noticed that there's a CPU frequency widget that lets me set the CPU to 2GHz. I forgot this was a thing, so tried to set my CPU frequency (using the "cpupower" terminal utility) but the max I seem to be able to manage is 1.42GHz. I've tried a few different distros on a microSD but run Manjaro as my daily, so I'd like to know a couple things:

1) is it possible to set the CPU to 2GHz?
2) is it known why 1.42GHz is (or at least, is reported as) the maximum?

I thought maybe it was just an oddity with the Debian distro but it seems that 2GHz is reported in Pine64's documentation as the maximum frequency.

Any insight and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - poVoq - 10-27-2020

(10-26-2020, 05:44 PM)jimsurvak Wrote: Hello Pine64 community!
I've been reasonably happy with my PbP since receiving it early this year. However, I was tinkering around with some things & installed the former Debian-based factory OS & noticed that there's a CPU frequency widget that lets me set the CPU to 2GHz. I forgot this was a thing, so tried to set my CPU frequency (using the "cpupower" terminal utility) but the max I seem to be able to manage is 1.42GHz. I've tried a few different distros on a microSD but run Manjaro as my daily, so I'd like to know a couple things:

1) is it possible to set the CPU to 2GHz?
2) is it known why 1.42GHz is (or at least, is reported as) the maximum?

I thought maybe it was just an oddity with the Debian distro but it seems that 2GHz is reported in Pine64's documentation as the maximum frequency.

Any insight and/or suggestions would be appreciated!
Isn't that the max frequency of the 4 smaller a53 cores? I think only the two a72 cores can go to 2ghz or at least 1.8ghz.

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - as400 - 10-27-2020

@poVoq - exactly. 1.42 GHz is small cores frequency.

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - MeLikeyTacos - 10-27-2020

On my machine using cpupower, cores 0-3 are the A53 cores running at 1416MHz. Cores 4-5 are the A72's at 2000MHz. I have also noticed that if you change the governor, the A72's setting drops to 1800MHz and I have to bump them back up to 2000 manually, not sure why. The governor setting also will not persist through reboots, I would like to make it that way if possible.

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - jimsurvak - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 12:24 PM)as400 Wrote: @poVoq - exactly. 1.42 GHz is small cores frequency.
 Thank you @poVoq and @as400 - I actually had that thought driving home from work today. I appreciate the insight!

@MeLikeyTacos - how do you use cpupower to get that level of detail? I usually just set "governor" and let it ride, having it report that core 0-5 are set. But I haven't played around with it enough to determine how to see each core.

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - MeLikeyTacos - 10-28-2020

(10-27-2020, 02:08 PM)jimsurvak Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 12:24 PM)as400 Wrote: @poVoq - exactly. 1.42 GHz is small cores frequency.
 Thank you @poVoq and @as400 - I actually had that thought driving home from work today. I appreciate the insight!

@MeLikeyTacos - how do you use cpupower to get that level of detail? I usually just set "governor" and let it ride, having it report that core 0-5 are set. But I haven't played around with it enough to determine how to see each core.
I'm using the "cpupower-gui" app that's available through AUR, it gives a nice interface with sliders for setting frequencies and dropdown boxes for selecting the governor settings.

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - jimsurvak - 10-29-2020

(10-28-2020, 09:57 AM)MeLikeyTacos Wrote:

I'm using the "cpupower-gui" app that's available through AUR, it gives a nice interface with sliders for setting frequencies and dropdown boxes for selecting the governor settings.
 Was rooting around looking for how to do this & ran across this article you might like. Apparently the newest version does allow frequency setting at power on or user log on:
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/10/change-cpu-governor-and-frequencies-on.html

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - MeLikeyTacos - 10-29-2020

(10-29-2020, 11:37 AM)jimsurvak Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 09:57 AM)MeLikeyTacos Wrote:

Was rooting around looking for how to do this & ran across this article you might like. Apparently the newest version does allow frequency setting at power on or user log on:
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/10/change-cpu-governor-and-frequencies-on.html
Ah, neato. Thanks for the heads-up!

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - rimaille - 10-31-2020

You can even go to 2,1Ghz, safely, at 1,25V instead of 2Ghz@1.3V by default.
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=Overclocking#CPU_2
This require kernel compilation, but it worth it !

RE: Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? - xmixahlx - 11-01-2020

the cpupower config script in pbp-tools shows the many ways you can manipulate the cores