PINE64
Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Hardware (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+--- Thread: Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked (/showthread.php?tid=11739)

Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - Phillip Bell - 10-05-2020

My original UBPorts back cover cracked after opening around 10 times.  I have since replaced it with a no-logo back cover, and there have been no issues at all.  

I have a wild theory that the heat treatment from the logo imprint may weaken portions of the back cover.  This is completely unsubstantiated by evidence, just an idea really.

I am posting here just for information purposes only.  If anyone else experiences back cover cracking, feel free to reply to this thread.  

You can see that it it happened right at the right side retainer post, directly under the power button.  So it could also be a simple manufacturing defect.

Two images attached.

RE: Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - wibble - 10-06-2020

There were several reports of the Brave Heart back cover cracking in a similar way so it's probably not the logo application. Given the cost of tooling for injection moulding it's probably a weakness we'll have to live with.

RE: Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - Phillip Bell - 10-06-2020

(10-06-2020, 04:15 AM)wibble Wrote: There were several reports of the Brave Heart back cover cracking in a similar way so it's probably not the logo application. Given the cost of tooling for injection moulding it's probably a weakness we'll have to live with.

The braveheart edition did not have a logo?

RE: Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - wibble - 10-07-2020

My Brave Heart has no logo on the back cover, and I don't remember seeing one in any of the photos. The only logo is on the phone itself, between the camera and the flash LED. The 'Community Edition' batches have had a logo on the cover matching the community project they're supporting I think.

RE: Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - tllim - 10-11-2020

(10-05-2020, 11:23 PM)Phillip Bell Wrote: My original UBPorts back cover cracked after opening around 10 times.  I have since replaced it with a no-logo back cover, and there have been no issues at all.  

I have a wild theory that the heat treatment from the logo imprint may weaken portions of the back cover.  This is completely unsubstantiated by evidence, just an idea really.

I am posting here just for information purposes only.  If anyone else experiences back cover cracking, feel free to reply to this thread.  

You can see that it it happened right at the right side retainer post, directly under the power button.  So it could also be a simple manufacturing defect.

Two images attached.

The logo is stamp printing, there is no heat treatment,

RE: Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - daniel - 10-20-2020

Since this is a phone that we all open hundreds of times, some thing should be done on the cover. Maybe thicker? mine (UBports) also start cracking, since then I am trying to be very careful everytime I removed. MAybe someone has find a fix. superglue?

RE: Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - wibble - 10-24-2020

If you don't mind the cosmetics I've had reasonable results in the past with superglue and strands of glass fibre for compact repair or reinforcement.

RE: Back cover with UBPorts logo cracked - mteagles1942 - 03-22-2021

Mine (Mobian CE) cracked 2nd day between volume / power buttons (buttons fell off). Very disappointing indeed Sad I can't even order a replacement back cover atm.