PINE64
Elementary OS download - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+--- Thread: Elementary OS download (/showthread.php?tid=11542)

Pages: 1 2

Elementary OS download - Paulie420 - 09-19-2020

Hey, two questions really...

1. Is there anywhere other than Elementary itself to download the Elementary Pinebook Pro version? Of course doing it this way I'd need to get the SHA signature to make sure its safe... but... Elementary makes you donate $10 per month in order to download the not-stable release versions. I may do this, so my next question:

2. Does anyone use Elementary OS on Pinebook Pro? Manjaro is awesome and I love it - but I do prefer a Ubuntu build. I like Armbian, but I really am just trying all of them out - and I couldn't get regular Ubuntu to unpack yet... must be some issue with my archiver. :/ So, I wanna try Elementary - Before I pay them, tho, as I really just wanted to try it out -- Does anyone use it and could tell me if its worth it to pay for?

Manjaro is really nice - and since its supported its hard to want to go anywhere else, but.... I still want to try.

RE: Elementary OS download - wdt - 09-19-2020

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10844
Ok, sleep works, wm a bit feeble, only 1 desktop

RE: Elementary OS download - bastafari - 09-20-2020

I tried elementary os. Installed on the emmc even. Worked well, but keep in mind it's alpha right now. When I finished setup it automagically detected and connected my wifi printer. I think it's worth a shot. Went back to manjaro though but I think it's just cuz I prefer it.

RE: Elementary OS download - Paulie420 - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 03:08 PM)bastafari Wrote: I tried elementary os. Installed on the emmc even. Worked well, but keep in mind it's alpha right now.  When I finished setup it automagically detected and connected my wifi printer. I think it's worth a shot. Went back to manjaro though but I think it's just cuz I prefer it.

Yea, Manjaro is hard to beat. I just like a Ubuntu based system, so thought I'd post about it. I don't know about donating yet tho, if its alpha and all... I mean I'd play with it, but don't wanna pay $10 a month. Tongue

Good on you for doing so; or if you didn't, where did you build from?

Cheers.

RE: Elementary OS download - wdt - 09-20-2020

Not clear what you are saying
>or if you didn't, where did you build from?

In the 1st post, linked thread, this line, last word is link

I went ahead and ran the build script and have the compiled image here.

Still seems to be there
And, let me point out, it is xz compressed, if a bit flips, it WON'T extract, will error out
OR, belt & suspenders,, xz -t xz-image

RE: Elementary OS download - bastafari - 09-20-2020

I opted to pay the $10. Figured it's a small price to help support development for our device. Also in my short time it was completely useable and didn't have any issues, but I'm no power user by any stretch.

Also, endeavor OS might work on our device if you want an Ubuntu flavor. I might try it out when I have time to go through all the flashing.

RE: Elementary OS download - Paulie420 - 09-21-2020

(09-20-2020, 08:19 PM)wdt Wrote: Not clear what you are saying

Still seems to be there
And, let me point out, it is xz compressed, if a bit flips, it WON'T extract, will error out

Got it, sorry to be a dummy. Tongue Found it this time...

(09-20-2020, 08:21 PM)bastafari Wrote: I opted to pay the $10. Figured it's a small price to help support development for our device. Also in my short time it was completely useable and didn't have any issues, but I'm no power user by any stretch.

Also, endeavor OS might work on our device if you want an Ubuntu flavor. I might try it out when I have time to go through all the flashing.

I'll pay $10 - I thought it wanted me to sign a $10 per month recurring thing.... I swear it said recurring, just FYI - but maybe I'm in the wrong... don't take my word for it.

I'll also pay $10 gladly - it seems like they are working on supporting an Elementary build anyway, I heard on a PodCast today an Elementary team guy was on it.

I'll check into the Elementary website again... if its a one time donation, I will send it to them; heck, its worth that for the nightly builds and anything beneficial that comes up as they develop it.

Thanks for telling me that, too - cause I was gonna be over it.

RE: Elementary OS download - bastafari - 09-21-2020

(09-21-2020, 07:49 PM)Paulie420 Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 08:19 PM)wdt Wrote: Not clear what you are saying

Still seems to be there

Got it, sorry to be a dummy. Tongue Found it this time...

(09-20-2020, 08:21 PM)bastafari Wrote: I opted to pay the $10. Figured it's a small price to help support development for our device. Also in my short time it was completely useable and didn't have any issues, but I'm no power user by any stretch.

I'll pay $10 - I thought it wanted me to sign a $10 per month recurring thing.... I swear it said recurring, just FYI - but maybe I'm in the wrong... don't take my word for it.

I'll also pay $10 gladly - it seems like they are working on supporting an Elementary build anyway, I heard on a PodCast today an Elementary team guy was on it.

I'll check into the Elementary website again... if its a one time donation, I will send it to them; heck, its worth that for the nightly builds and anything beneficial that comes up as they develop it.

I think it is a monthly thing but if course you can cancel it. Just go to your subscriptions tab in PayPal and cancel.

RE: Elementary OS download - Paulie420 - 09-22-2020

(09-21-2020, 08:14 PM)bastafari Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 07:49 PM)Paulie420 Wrote: I'll pay $10 - I thought it wanted me to sign a $10 per month recurring thing.... I swear it said recurring, just FYI - but maybe I'm in the wrong... don't take my word for it.

I think it is a monthly thing but if course you can cancel it. Just go to your subscriptions tab in PayPal and cancel.

Well... I did find a build from late August - and... its pretty darn good. I mean this flavor of Linux is a bit vanilla for me - BUT its Ubuntu, and certainly seems to be performing well on the PBP... 

I understand what you're saying about the donation cancel thing; and I think I'll at least throw them a tenner. Its money well spent, and hopefully they see some interest (and $$$) from the PBP community. Whether or not this will find its way to a production use for me is to be determined... but its really nice. Also, it could be another build for other users; my kids, a linux novice, etc etc. 

Elementary is looking pretty nice on the PBP. Last mention here, I'll go donate to them and get the most current build of Elementary, and make the IMG available for download somewhere; posting the links here. Tongue Hope that helps the next person wanting to take a look - If ya'll use it, send them the $10. We could possibly stagger them so we always have the next weeks build - they say they release once a week.

RE: Elementary OS download - Mangled - 10-01-2020

(09-22-2020, 06:36 PM)Paulie420 Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 08:14 PM)bastafari Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 07:49 PM)Paulie420 Wrote: I'll pay $10 - I thought it wanted me to sign a $10 per month recurring thing.... I swear it said recurring, just FYI - but maybe I'm in the wrong... don't take my word for it.

Well... I did find a build from late August - and... its pretty darn good. I mean this flavor of Linux is a bit vanilla for me - BUT its Ubuntu, and certainly seems to be performing well on the PBP... 

I understand what you're saying about the donation cancel thing; and I think I'll at least throw them a tenner. Its money well spent, and hopefully they see some interest (and $$$) from the PBP community. Whether or not this will find its way to a production use for me is to be determined... but its really nice. Also, it could be another build for other users; my kids, a linux novice, etc etc. 

Elementary is looking pretty nice on the PBP. Last mention here, I'll go donate to them and get the most current build of Elementary, and make the IMG available for download somewhere; posting the links here. Tongue Hope that helps the next person wanting to take a look - If ya'll use it, send them the $10. We could possibly stagger them so we always have the next weeks build - they say they release once a week.

Are there any advantages to elementary os? Are their apps compatible from the store to run on arm64?